Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, April 21st, 2012, 04:13 PM
Whopper

OC Dan is on a distinguished road
Default EOT reading 0

I just installed a gryphon on my 2008 FX4. The engine oil temp reads 0. All of the other PID's seem to be reading fine. Do I have a bad sensor? Really not sure why all of the other's would work, and the EOT doesn't?

Also, I unplugged it AFTER I down loaded the tow tune in order to reinstall the lower dash panel I had removed. When I plugged it back it, it re-initialized the set up and made me download the tow tune again. Is this normal if you unplug, and re-plug it in to the OBD?
Old Sat, April 21st, 2012, 06:05 PM
Whopper

OK, did some research. Appears i don't even have an oil sensor. Guess that explains it!

Could someone please address question 2. Is it normal for the gryphon to make you reprogram your tune if you un-plug it from the OBD and then plug it back in?
Old Sat, April 21st, 2012, 07:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Dan View Post
OK, did some research. Appears i don't even have an oil sensor. Guess that explains it!

Could someone please address question 2. Is it normal for the gryphon to make you reprogram your tune if you un-plug it from the OBD and then plug it back in?
No, this is not normal at all. You should be able to unplug the Gryphon and plug it back in without reprogramming the PCM. I have no idea why you would have been prompted to reload that tune.

Do you have a CS/CTS Gryphon or the older monochrome kind? The reason I ask, is because the ignition key has to be ON before you plug in the monochrome Gryphon. It doesn't matter what state the ignition is in for the CS/CTS platforms.

And, you don't have an oil temperature sensor. One of Ford's cost cutting measures. I monitored mine for a while, but it really goes all over the place, depending on engine load. I no longer look at it.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, April 21st, 2012, 11:00 PM
Whopper

I have the monochrome. I un-pluged it and then re-pluged it with the ignition off.

So, they key has to be ON when you un-plug/re-plug? I just reprogramed the tow tune, it did the download and that was it. I was just surprised when it powered up and showed the initialization screen again.
Old Sat, April 21st, 2012, 11:18 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Dan View Post
I have the monochrome. I un-pluged it and then re-pluged it with the ignition off.

So, they key has to be ON when you un-plug/re-plug? I just reprogramed the tow tune, it did the download and that was it. I was just surprised when it powered up and showed the initialization screen again.
It only has to be ON when you plug the Gryphon in to the OBD port. That provides the proper voltage and current for it to "initialize". If the key is OFF, the unit only sees the "keep alive power" (0.05 Amps) that allows it to wake up from a "hibernation" mode when you start the vehicle. The key can be in any position when you unplug the unit though.

This advice also applies if you disconnect the battery. The Gryphon thinks it's been unplugged and you have to actually unplug it and then plug it back in with the key ON once the battery is reconnected.

- Jack