Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road
Default Guessing PCM Code?

My dad currently has a Superchips tuner. I'd like to get him the Phoenix or FU as a present. He lives in Alabama and I'm in Louisiana, plus digging out the PCM from his truck would look suspicious. Is there one PCM code for a 01 F250 automatic?

His truck is all stock except a 6637 filter I installed.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Whopper

tdpower is on a distinguished road

Here is a list: PCM Codes - 1994-1997 Power Stroke FAQ

If you can get his vin # you should be able to call ford's parts department and tell them you are looking for a pcm and need them to look it up by vin #. Good luck.
Grant -------------2000 7.3 powerstroke. PHP 6 position chip (stock,high idle,60tow,80dd,100hp,no start) autometer phantom gauges (pyro,boost, trans) 6637 filter, AIH delete. Oil crossover(died rest in peace). 6.0 tranny cooler, In tank mods, Wicked Wheel. Walker muffler, Riffraff FRX.
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

If it's a 2001 and it's NOT a Calif. truck, it's most likely going to use a PMT1/VRAA6S3 calibration. That'd be the safest guess.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
God & Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
If it's a 2001 and it's NOT a Calif. truck, it's most likely going to use a PMT1/VRAA6S3 calibration. That'd be the safest guess.

How could I tell if its a cali. truck? VC sticker? He comes here time to time to visit and I'm suppose to be going home for 2 weeks at the end of the month. If its the vc sticker, I could take a quick peek at it.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
God & Guns

Also, I saw someone that ordered a FU chip with no "Stock" position. Don't ya'll reccomend having a stock position on the chip? Is there any danger of turning the truck off with an aftermarket tune, removing the chip, then turning the truck back on running strictly off the PCM?

Seems like you could get one more tune in that way. If you have to diagnose the truck, its no big deal pulling the chip out if the PCM casing hole is big enough.
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
Whopper

tdpower is on a distinguished road

his truck would probably have a cat and gpcm if it was a cali truck. It doesn't matter what you shut the truck down in and remove the chip. Just don't want the keys in the ing. As far as getting another tune when removing the chip go for it..lol.
Grant -------------2000 7.3 powerstroke. PHP 6 position chip (stock,high idle,60tow,80dd,100hp,no start) autometer phantom gauges (pyro,boost, trans) 6637 filter, AIH delete. Oil crossover(died rest in peace). 6.0 tranny cooler, In tank mods, Wicked Wheel. Walker muffler, Riffraff FRX.
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

If there is a Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM... It's a little aluminum box with 2 square plugs on it) on the passenger valve cover, it's a California truck. If there are two Glow Plug Relays (they look like starter solenoids, with one actually being used for the Air Intake Heater) then it's a 49 State truck.

When you order an FU kit, you have the choice of what files to put on the chip. You can always remove the chip from the ECM to go back to stock, just make sure the key is in your pocket or in the back seat. That's the only safe place for it!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, May 3rd, 2012, 09:23 AM
God & Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdpower View Post
his truck would probably have a cat and gpcm if it was a cali truck. It doesn't matter what you shut the truck down in and remove the chip. Just don't want the keys in the ing. As far as getting another tune when removing the chip go for it..lol.
Thanks. I know there wont be a tune when I remove the chip. I would just remove the chip for diagnostic purposes. I read somewhere that they suggest having a stock position on the chip so you could flip it there when you need to do diagnostics. I never really thought about it until I saw that individual with no stock setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
If there is a Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM... It's a little aluminum box with 2 square plugs on it) on the passenger valve cover, it's a California truck. If there are two Glow Plug Relays (they look like starter solenoids, with one actually being used for the Air Intake Heater) then it's a 49 State truck.

When you order an FU kit, you have the choice of what files to put on the chip. You can always remove the chip from the ECM to go back to stock, just make sure the key is in your pocket or in the back seat. That's the only safe place for it!

10-4, I remeber you telling me to just make sure the key was out when you was putting the chip back in after you re-burned it. I use to go through the trouble of removing the + bettery cables before messing with it.

I may just have my chip reburned for him and I get the FU. He's not really all into tuning trucks. He just had the superchips added because he said his truck felt more sluggish after Ford put in the gray CPS.

Last edited by rammertide07; Thu, May 3rd, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old Thu, May 3rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
God & Guns

Better yet, can't my TS chip be reformated to work with the FU package....and I could buy another license for it? That way if my dad ever wants to change his tunes I can do it.

Can I grab the files from the server and put them on my laptop. I live in a one mile gap of internet access, it would be easier for me to just grab the files from the server and keep them on a file in my laptop.

If not, guess I can just run of to Sonic and bum off their WiFi.

So what all do I need to get that done?

-Send my chip in to be reformated to work with the FU kit
-Purchase the FU package
-???

And can I keep the tunes that you wrote for me that are currently on the TS chip?
Old Mon, June 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Whopper

Hoat is on a distinguished road

I think I have the correct sticker I want to make sure I have the correct PCM code.

It has the 12B599 and since its made in brazil I think its the same and the pcm number is 7FFA0. I can not find a 4 digit code.

the below is copied from the php website

On the side of the PCM connector facing the driver's fender, there is a white sticker that contains the Part Number and Calibration information. The Part Number is easy to identify because it will always contain "-12A650-" in the middle of it. The Calibration code (also called the "Box" code or "Tear Tag" code) is a 4 digit code that is composed of 3 letters and 1 number.

In this example, the PCM Part Number is "F81F-12A650-BF" and the Box or Calibration Code is "XLE4". For reference, the "DPC-402" is the hardware designation and is used to identify the Circuit Board used in the PCM. In the event a replacement PCM is needed, any PCM with a matching "DPC" number can be used, although you will need to have the PCM reflashed to the proper Calibration code.