Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, November 6th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Whopper Junior

bam$bam is on a distinguished road
Question ECM rollback/FICM tune

I've got an 04 Excursion, SCT tuner, studded, EGR delete, 4" turbo back which recently had injectors go out on it. I replaced with industrial injectors 175/100 and put in a powermax turbo. The guy that put in my injectors and turbo put some custom tunes on that I thought were blowing too much smoke. He is 4hrs away or else I would have run down there. I decided to try some tunes from others to try and clean it up a bit with some success..... but I am still not happy. Now I was planning to do a FICM tune and run it with the custom SCT tunes to see what would happen. This whole process has trying to better understand ECM, FICM and strategies.

When I pulled the stock strategy it was VXAP2N2 which I was told was the first time this person had seen this strategy on an excursion in 8 yrs of programming....said it was an F250 strategy. I have a ton of questions.

1. Is this an F250 strategy? If it is does it matter if I have an F250 ECM in my excursion?

2. Do I need to do an ECM rollback if running custom SCT tunes? Specifically does a custom tune erase the stock strategy or build off it. If it erases or overwrites I would assume the answer is no. I know rolling back affects cold starts and I live in northern MN so cold starts are important to me.

3. If I do FICM tuning is it set up to work with stock strategy or the custom tune strategy or does it even matter.

4. Some people have told me VXAP2N2 is a good strategy and others have told me it is crap? Who is right????

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Wed, November 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Whopper Junior

bam$bam is on a distinguished road

Talked to Bill today. He answered all my questions. Thanks