Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Double Whopper

bamboo is on a distinguished road
Default fuel economy ?

so I have an OBS with AD codes, So figure I'd best post this here.. I pretty much got a newer SD under the hood, AD's, 17* hpop, SD turbo, and all that other good stuff
what kine of fuel economy you getting with bills tunes?
mostly you 6speed guys, But any one can chime in.

I Just got My 35" tires on and Now I have to be cautious to get 200 miles a tank, so thats roughly 12mpg
I can hardly afford to drive right now, partially cause alot of that money went to new wheels/tires

Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
so I have an OBS with AD codes, So figure I'd best post this here.. I pretty much got a newer SD under the hood, AD's, 17* hpop, SD turbo, and all that other good stuff
what kine of fuel economy you getting with bills tunes?
mostly you 6speed guys, But any one can chime in.

I Just got My 35" tires on and Now I have to be cautious to get 200 miles a tank, so thats roughly 12mpg
I can hardly afford to drive right now, partially cause alot of that money went to new wheels/tires

I can't tell if you're happy about 12 MPG...the " " tells me that you're OK with it.

A friend of mine gets 18 with his 99.5 mixed and nearly 20 when cruising at a reasonable speed.
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Double Whopper

your friend running bills tunes ? Any other mods..?

And I Cant say I'm happy about the mpg considering diesel is $4+ a gallon Im not joking when i say i can hardly afford to drive, I Am happy with performance and the look of my new wheels which is what the lil dude " " was for
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 08:49 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
your friend running bills tunes ? Any other mods..?
Oh, oops. I totally spaced the "bill's tunes" part. No, but most any tuner worth his salt can increase unladen fuel economy. No other mods except for having removed the muffler.

Big tires will absolutely KILL mileage. Take it from me, I know. My old Powerstroke got about 5 MPG from 14 MPG stock once the 49's got put on.

Last edited by cleatus12r; Wed, July 7th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Double Whopper

Well turns out I orderd 33's even though I told the shop 35's
man Its hard to find a reliable shop to do business with..

Any way what can I tell Bill I need done for better fuel economy, I know when your busy, Its a bit easier to have your work layed out on the table for you

and since you had an OBS, did you ever experience almost stall or really low 600-800rpm while pushing in the clutch, assuming you had a 5speed

for example, cruising in 3rd 25mph, stop sign/light, instead of downshifting you just push in the clutch from 1700 rpm lets say, and it drops all the way down to 600 or 800rpm
Oil pressure ? fuel ?
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Oh, oops. I totally spaced the "bill's tunes" part. No, but most any tuner worth his salt can increase unladen fuel economy. No other mods except for having removed the muffler.

Big tires will absolutely KILL mileage. Take it from me, I know. My old Powerstroke got about 5 MPG from 14 MPG stock once the 49's got put on.
Old Sat, September 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:

and since you had an OBS, did you ever experience almost stall or really low 600-800rpm while pushing in the clutch, assuming you had a 5speed

for example, cruising in 3rd 25mph, stop sign/light, instead of downshifting you just push in the clutch from 1700 rpm lets say, and it drops all the way down to 600 or 800rpm
Oil pressure ? fuel ?
Thanks for the info
I've heard it referred to as "idle recovery" and I don't know all of the details of why or how but I think a lot of it has to do with the "simple" PCM and lack of resolution in the tuning maps in the old trucks.
Old Sun, September 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Double Whopper

So its not necessarily due to HPO, or fuel pressure, But more to the fact that Im running split shots, and and im just confusing it(PCM) more than usual

As long as she never actually stalls, Its not an issue for me just want to try an get every thing running tight and smooth

Thanks for the info!