Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sat, December 20th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Whopper Junior

dlaroche1 is on a distinguished road
Default Sudden Cutout While Driving

I am running a gryphon on my 2001 7.3 f250. I have had it cut out very briefly while driving at highway speeds several times in the last few days. There are no codes. It will throw off the cruise if it's on and the tach falls like loss of voltage. It goes as quick as it comes and everything is normal. Also it cut off once while idling at a light, but cranked right back up. Any ideas? I am running level 3
Old Sat, December 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure Bill will jump in here, but when I read your post to him just now, he said, "It sounds like he might have a cam sensor going bad." I'm sure that means something to the two of you.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sat, December 20th, 2008, 09:28 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

My first impression is the CAM sensor is going kaput. Run, don't walk, to the nearest NAPA or AutoZone and pick up a brand new one. Make sure you get the BLACK one, not a GREY one. The grey ones are junk.

If you have any concern that it may be programming related (which I really doubt) then you can always return to stock and verify the condition. Just keep in mind that CAM sensors will eventually quit altogether and usually in the most inconvenient places. :omg: :weeping:

The sensor is easy to install and all you need is a 10mm wrench, a dry piece of ground, and about 20 minutes. It is located just above and to the left of the crankshaft balancer/pulleys.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Double Whopper

chappy is on a distinguished road

I was gonna say cam position sensor also.So the OP knows,where is a good place to get the BLACK one at?You should always carry one with you.I need to take my own advise and get one also.Another thing it could always be is the valve cover harness coming loose on the inside but I don't think thats it.It usually just runs crappy when that happens.
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Chappy! It's good to see you over here in this forum where things don't get so intense.

Now

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, January 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Love Games?

theSLEEPER is on a distinguished road

Still no update? Was it raining when this was happening??
Old Sun, January 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I was gonna say cam position sensor also.So the OP knows,where is a good place to get the BLACK one at?You should always carry one with you.I need to take my own advise and get one also.Another thing it could always be is the valve cover harness coming loose on the inside but I don't think thats it.It usually just runs crappy when that happens.
Didn't the black one get recalled, Chappy?

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sun, January 25th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Double Whopper

chappy is on a distinguished road

yeh,I'm sure Bill may know more about it but I have the crappy grey one in mine due to the Ford recall.The Blacks Are getting harder to find.I found some guy on Ebay selling used Black ones really cheap that work and I may go that route.I believe Ford stepped in and pretty much told International that the grey was better the the black or vice versa and thats why the recal. But as Bill said and many others ,the issues with the Grey are worse then any issues that there were with the black so Black is better.I'm still learning but I believe the grey has 2 injector contribution problems that it causes.I can't remember what the complaint was about the Black to make them switch but I know Bill does.And yes,it doesn't get heated over here.I can't help it I like to argue,its just my nature for some reason.My friends and Wife are use to it now.I never mean anything bad by it though but people don't always know that.
Old Sun, January 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

I never even saw one post where you were getting "forceful!" I've been involved in a few tussles of my own on PSO and PSN, and it's nice that I don't have to worry about it over here -- yet.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019