Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, April 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Whopper Junior

bo_champion is on a distinguished road
Default PLEASE, help with this 7.3 no start

Hello I am a new member, I have been reading post for over a month now trying to figure out my "no start" on my 2000 7.3 psd. I'm sorry for being long just want to share as much as I can. My Problems started a couple of months back with hard starting. The truck would crank over longer and longer before starting. Then about a month ago no start at all.

I had a friend hook it to a scanner and said it was not getting enough oil pressure. So I started with the ICP (No Help) then IPR (No Help). I then bit the bullet and got a new HPOP, still no start.

At this point I ordered a Autoenginuity with the enhanced ford package. I recived the AE about a week ago. On my first codes were showing, P1663, P1667, P0605, P0470, P1278. After this I inspected the wiring I found some bare wires on the driver side valve cover. I repaired the wires pulled the valve covers and replaced the Glow Plugs and under the cover harnesses. I also put 2 new batteries and a new exhaust back pressure tube on. Still NO START..

I cleared the codes and ran another scan. Now I have, Powertrain: P1280, P0470, P0603. KOEO:P0605, P1266, P1268, P1276, P1278. Inj. Buzz test: all 8 buzz a couple are weak.
While cranking the truck my live data stream shows: Inj. Press. Cntrl. 287psi (with ICP plugged in) 2200psi (with ICP unplugged) this makes no sense to me. Inj. Press. Volts 55v (with ICP) 0 (w/o ICP), Fuel Injector Pulse width: .60 IPR duty cycle 31.64. RPM: 154

I am thinking maybe a bad PCM? I really hate to buy one not knowing for sure and I dont know anyone close that I could swap out with. Any and all suggestions will be a great help.
Old Tue, April 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Is your oil pressure gauge on the dash jumping up while cranking?

Could be a cracked pick-up tube if it is not.

An easy way to check this is to overfill the oil by a few quarts, jack up the rear of the truck and try again. If oil pressure picks back up you know what you need to do.

Good Luck.
Old Tue, April 19th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Whopper Junior

The oil pressure gauge on the dash comes up to normal range and holds there. Although it does take serveral crank revolutions to start moving.
I will climb under and check then add some oil and get the jack out. Thanks for the help.
Old Tue, April 19th, 2011, 10:28 PM
BROKE

Is the oil reservoir on the top of the engine full?
Old Tue, April 19th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Whopper Junior

Yes everytime I have checked since changing the HPO system it is staying full.
Old Wed, April 20th, 2011, 12:02 AM
BROKE

Any codes generated from the buzz test?

Seems as if you have a internal HPO leak. Might try cranking it with the valve covers off and see if you can find where it is going. I had one once where an injector poppet stuck open and would bleed of all of the pressure. Also one or more of the upper injector o-rings can leak, causing similar issues.
Old Wed, April 20th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Whopper Junior

OK had to work all day today. When I ran the last buzz test a couple of days ago I got a 1266, 1268, 1276 and 1278: high to low side short and high to low side open on #6 and #8. Would those cause a leak?

It will be Monday before I get back to work on it. Like a dumb a*% I let a wrench slip and broke the nipple threds on the fuel pressure relief valve, causing an awful fuel leak. I ordered a aftermarket one online it should be here Monday. I need a couple days break anyway...I'm way to close to seeing how hot an F-250 can burn.

I'll post the results Monday afternoon of any progress or at this point regress.
Old Wed, April 20th, 2011, 07:47 PM
BROKE

There is definitely something up with those two injectors, but it is purely an electrical fault.

Were the wires your repaired for those two injectors?

There is more going on here than just that, though. You need to find where that HPO is going.
Old Mon, June 13th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Whopper

usnavyad is on a distinguished road

just for giggles have u looked at a cps they are a problem in the 99-03s they say to carry on in the glove box if the truck dont strat throw that in and it will start