Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 01:07 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough
Default SOI?

Ok, so I know this is gonna sound kinda dumb.

Is there a magic number for max SOI?

Like a rule of thumb, dont exceed XX degrees at XXXX ICP at X.X PW at XXXX RPM. I realize this has been the mystery for tuners for quite a while, and probably varies greatly for different injector combo's and I'm sure no one wants to say. I have seen a few SOI maps that are extremely different and I am trying to establish some boundaries to play within.

Can you tell from engine noise when you have gone to far or is it not so obvious?

Thank you for being patient with me.
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

I can't help you too much, just maybe help point you in the right direction. Check out the forum for Analytune. The idea of Analytune from what I read is to make sure that your SOI, ICP, and PW are within safe parameters. My guess this will be to help make sure your small tweaks don't add up to a big change which could cause some problems.
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Oh boy.

This is going to sound real bad of me, but as far as the "magic number" goes, it is ALL dependent on so many things.

EOT plays a HUGE role in start of injection.
The SOI map is simply based on Mass Fuel Desired vs. Engine speed................

There's a map for an adder based on those but for low boost...............

There's a delay map that factors in the electrical/mechanical delay inherent in the injectors....................

The injection control pressure has an effect on the actual start of combustion........

Physical combustion chamber temperature has the same effect...............

Boost pressure (dynamic compression) has a similar effect on speed of flame travel......

Backpressure seems to have an effect as well...............

There are far too many variables to put a "magic number" in for any particular engine. Every engine is going to be different for a maximum or "sweet spot".

As for the ability to tell how much is too much; a trained ear can hear it but you probably don't want to hear it very long before fixing it. It sounds terrible...like marbles in a barrel at extremes.

Good luck.
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM
BROKE

Wow...boost and backpressure were two things I would have never even considered. I did not think there would be an easy answer to this, just trying to be cautious.

Is there any way to see the TOTAL commanded SOI, without the use of a labscope?
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Supposedly, the datastream will give you an actual "calculated" SOI. However, comparing that with a lab scope MAY show some discrepancies. I plan on trying it here in the near future.
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
BROKE

I have never seen that PID before. Probably need the NGS or IDS to see it.
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 10:48 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

I have seen it somewhere. Bill posted a link to an Excel spreadsheet datalog.....I'll see if I can find it.
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Here it is....

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/showp...91&postcount=7
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
BROKE

What was used to datalog? Looks like that truck had a decent HPOP on it tho
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Some program Bill has with a much faster sample rate than AE has....come to think of it, it's way faster than the Genisys too.