Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about
Default Economy tune/timing question

Hello,
I've got a question about Economy tunes. there was some debate about economy tunes and "ventilated" blocks
My question is this: what in the Economy tune is suspect to causing this Rapid remodel of the engine compartment? Some seem to think it was the timing causing too early or too high of a pressure spike. Does this sound accurate?
I understand that this was mostly on heavily modified or PMR trucks, but I like to know all that I can, and may modify my truck heavily some day and dont want it to
Thanks,
Dan
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

There is still speculation as to what EXACTLY was the issue. I have found a specific set of problems that related to calibrations done for the PMR engines that weren't exactly related to the tuning, but were an actual error in the file itself. The tip-off on that was the fact that people were experiencing problems switching levels when they shouldn't have been. Even with that, the Econo files looked like the timing was more aggressive then it needed to be and that may have been a contributing factor to the failures.

In general, the consensus is that timing helps improve mileage by keeping as much heat energy in the cylinders. This would be immediately recognizable by the lower EGT and boost levels at cruise. Unfortunately, this also contributed to the now infamous "Death Rattle" which would cause engines to pop. I've not seen this with stock injected engines so there must be something specific to the Stage 2 injector setup that simply doesn't like timing.

Tuning with the timing tables is a bit of a fine art. Watching boost, EGTs, and even listening to what the engine is telling you can be an indication if you're going too far. Of course, using cylinder pressure test equipment is the final answer to all of life's mysteries (in relation to how your tuning is going), but at $7000.00+ it is out of reach of most people.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

You are most democratic, Dear Husband.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Whopper

roosterdiesel is on a distinguished road

I only have one thing to add...the CP testing equipment needs the addition of knowing when SOI is commanded by the PCM.

My CP setup consists of a 2 channel oscilloscope from SnapOn and a custom pressure transducer from Kavlico. I'm sending them a glowplug and the are making one that will read the same pressures that the cylinder head surface and valves do. I will only test one cylinder with 2 variables consisting of SOI, TDC #1 and cylinder pressure to choose from.

For economy I will test crusing down the highway @ 65mph.

'01 F-250 6spd 2wd Handshaker 7.3L PSD
Stealth Dual Hpops, AC Alliants
Headstuds and Forged rods balanced
DIY Regulated Return with Racor Filtration #54
GTP 38R out 4" exhaust
Southbend Con OFE to get it to the ground
Gauges...Boost, Pyro, Fuel Pressure and temp.,HPOil, EOT, Pre and Post CAC temps
I'm sure some other stuff I forgot!
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Bacon King

bbbxcursion is on a distinguished road

Both my popped engines had stage 2's.....and 80E. If I did it again, I'd go hybrids.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

We usually get at least one call a week from a dealer or customer who has a "ventilated" engine. It almost seems pointless to ask who and what they were running because we KNOW what the answer will be.

I don't think they would be adverse to correcting the calibration. I just believe that it is SO widespread, it would be cost prohibitive (which doesn't make it right, but is what it is); someone also pointed out in the 80E thread that if they admit it's their fault, it also makes them culpable, and I doubt they want to go there financially.

As a fairly well-known tuning company in this industry, I really hope that the right, moral decision is made because it really does hurt the 7.3L tuning industry as a whole when engines are being destroyed by anyone for ANY reason. We'll sit back, wait, and see.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019

Last edited by Corey Cohron RIP; Wed, January 28th, 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Bacon King

I'm not sure if it was the 80e program on my truck that did it. It was 2 different versions of the program and the last engine was live tuned. Maybe there was a flaw in the 1st program....But even in the 2nd live tuned one? I don't know. I drove it like I stole it, and paid the price.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Just spoke with the Mad Doctor, himself, who speculates that the same base 80E file would have been used with live tuning, too... Of course, we don't know for sure, but Bill's been around a L-O-N-G time so I tend to trust his knowledge.

Quick question, bbbx, were you really on it or just driving normally each time?

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Bacon King

Normal just cruisin down the highway. The noise still haunts me. Now no matter what I drive, I'm waiting for that BOOM to happen again. I know Bill's been around and I know your history with DP. No secrets on this end. I respect Jody for what he does and how he runs the buisness with his wife. I wish I had a better story with my truck, but I guess that's life. The first engine was cruisin at about 65 mph. The second was about 45 mph. The only load on the engine was just to maintain the speed I was at. When I think about the noise, my heart starts racing really fast every damn time. My workers said my skin was pale white when the 2nd engine popped. Man have I had bad luck!
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

I was trying to figure out someplace that I could post that so that I could refer you right there and say, "SEE? How did I know?"

That's the pattern, unfortunately, and I just learned the reason why!

While writing this thread, I stopped and asked Bill to clarify something about timing and that particular file, and I totally understand! Go figure. Even a novice like me gets it. And the more I learn, the more I KNOW I don't even WANT to learn how to tune!

I also just got a great lesson about PMRs vs. forged rods (using a tempered vs. regular glass analogy -- he's a great teacher sometimes!). Did you have PMRs by any chance?

I've never heard an engine blow, and I can't even imagine driving the truck during the experience! I'm just glad that you were able to stop the truck safely. That's what really matters.

And please don't misunderstand my posts -- we have nothing against his tuning as a whole (he's been doing it for a few years now, so he's obviously doing something right!); many of his files have crossed Bill's desk via dealers and customers since 2007. So far, it's just this particular 80E file that's the issue.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019