Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Sun, February 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light
Default DP Tuner Software

Members and Guests,

Often, we come across posts on various forums where people ask about the relationship between Power Hungry Performance and DPTuner (the company). Recently, a thread was started on FTE about this relationship and how PHP is connected to DP Tuner (the software). The reason I have chosen to post this on our forum is in case any members or guests have similar questions about the connection between PHP and DP Tuner Software but didn't see the original thread on FTE. In this thread (titled Power Hungry Performance, mind you), someone from the other company chose to post about our software and imply that we were doing something illegal by distributing it and also using the name DP Tuner Software. Below is our objective reply to her post. If you'd like to read the entire thread, it can be found here.

Please know that it is not our intent to disparage anyone. The fact is that since 2007, certain individuals have chosen to tell lies about PHP, both verbal and written, to members of the automotive performance community for reasons that we have yet to understand. Since Bill has been in this industry for a dozen years, most of these fallacies have fallen on deaf ears. We are quite aware, however, that most customers and forum members don't know the facts as well as those on "the inside," and from time to time, we find ourselves having to post factual information in an effort to thwart the lies that are, obviously, still being told. We were really pleased that this thread offered us an opportunity to set a portion of the record straight.

There is obviously much more to the story of our relationship -- personal and professional -- with the Tiptons. For those of you who have heard rumors that Bill and Jody were going to work together, you're right. They were. It simply didn't work out for various reasons, and we formed PHP!

Blessings,
Corey

1 - When we owned Diesel Power, Jody purchased our DP Tuner tuning software almost a full year after I tuned his 7.3L. Luckily, we keep really good records, so we know that I tuned Jody's truck (with an 80hp calibration) for the first time on May 29, 2003. There were shifting issues with that calibration, and I tried a few times to tweak it long distance. Jody came over to our house on July 19, 2003 so that I could live tune his truck. Obviously, that was long before Jody started tuning and DP-Tuner was created. In fact, we still have the invoice showing that Jody purchased our DP Tuner software, all of my stock Ford calibrations, all then current Ford Power Stroke calibrations, all then current RDT Ford Power Stroke RDT files, and 2 Romulator adapters on May 5, 2004.

2- As an authorized reseller for both the PCMX and the subsequent DP Tuner Software, I sold TS Performance a fully licensed version of the software on May 6, 2003, and THAT is when their licensed copy became known as TS Performance Software.

3 - Diane is absolutely right about the fact that Kevin wrote the software. What has not been made clear, however, is that at my request, Kevin built us a private-labeled version called DP Tuner which was initially released on January 27, 2004. This software superceded PCMX, which is what we had been reselling up to that point. He is the one who added our company information, software name (DP Tuner -- for Diesel Power Tuner -- which I came up with) and the Diesel Power logo into the software. We were -- and still are -- authorized to distribute it to anyone we choose, and we pay him a license fee for every copy. For those who own a copy of DP Tuner Software, the logo is displayed by pressing ALT+F12.

4 - We have recently become aware that Jody chose to copyright the name DP Tuner, which is why we always make sure to differentiate DP Tuner Software from DP Tuner (the company). That's no different than, say, the company named "Mustang," which makes dynos and the car named "Mustang." One is a company name; one is a product name. Since 2004, we have used the name DP Tuner with and without the hyphen interchangeably. After we became aware of your trademark, we have tried only to use DP Tuner Software without the hyphen (out of respect to DP-Tuner's website name which bears the hyphen) and have always added the word "Software" after it in order to differentiate between the two. There's never any question that we are referencing our software.

If there is still any question as to the origin of the DP Tuner name with regard to our tuning software or our authorization to resell it, we will graciously provide any documentation requested.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019

Last edited by Corey Cohron RIP; Mon, August 10th, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Still reading crap on various forums -- two years later. If you haven't read this before, you may find it interesting!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Here's a funny story.......

4 years ago when I bought my DP-Tuner chip, they sent me a shirt and a pen. I pulled the shirt out of the closet for the first time this past weekend (never worn/washed before). Of course it's a large so I'm swimming in it. I wore my PHP shirt for the first time the following day....large as well.

I realize it's probably dang hard to get out from behind all of the hearsay that has had time to stew over the past half-decade. Hopefully it will all pass and eveyone can just .

Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Your Medium is sitting on my desk.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 10:42 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Trolls
Thread crappers

Nothing better to do than to start digg'n up the past which they heard from someone else.

Just don't get caught up in the game GC!

That's what trolls and tc's like the most.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Trolls
Thread crappers

Nothing better to do than to start digg'n up the past which they heard from someone else.

Just don't get caught up in the game GC!

That's what trolls and tc's like the most.

Lars
X2 Corey! The best thing to do is ignore them. If you don't play their game, they have nothing to "play with" (except themselves)

That's sort of "lonely", so they soon turn to other pastimes. (At night, with the blinds drawn, all alone, with something that arrived in the mail in a "plain brown wrapper", ...).

- Jack
Closed Thread