Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 04:54 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Is that like a "brother Darrell" or "other brother Darrell"?
Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Is that like a "brother Darrell" or "other brother Darrell"?
It took me a while, Cody. (And I knew you were referring to the Bob Newhart show, one of my all time favorites).

But, to answer everyone's question: A lot of the miners in Grass Valley were of Cornish descent. And, for some reason that I haven't bothered to look up, Cornish miners were often referred to as "Cousin Jacks". I don't believe it was a derogatory term - I certainly never heard it that way. It was much more of a "friendly" way to refer to them as a "group".

But, back to Cody's question, no relation to me!

- Jack
Old Tue, February 17th, 2009, 09:04 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Cody

You think your stuffs bad. There is a county up here that uses the cinders out of the colleges power plant. Now that's a mess. Other places around here use calcium chlorate and soy bi-products.
I thought the EPA was trying to have the production and use of arsenic cut back. I know that green treated lumber can't have it in the preservation process anymore. To many kids getting sick from decks and play sets.

You want to see something that will make you think. Go to a nascar race track. There are signs all over warning about lead exposure. Now this is the first year that they all will be running unleaded fuel believe it or not.

Been in your area 2 times, once in the summer and once in winter. You are right when it snows it snows.

-Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, February 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesTech View Post
Grass Valley huh ? Have tons of family out that way and in the Auburn area ! looks beautiful up there ! need to go soon.

you into wheeling much ?
LOL I have family in the bay area (all over the bay area)
I have a toyota in the shop that's undergoing a back-half/Double triangulated 4 link rear/ wishbone 3-link front/ coilovers front and rear/Dual cases/welded rear/e-locker front/Full exocage/hydrosteering/fenderwell clearancing/turbo/propane... and yes, all at once! It's going to be riding on 39.5" pitbull rockers :omg: You might say I enjoy wheeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Holy cow! I was born in Grass Valley! Have I already told you that?
Cool! and no you Haven't. For references, I live by rollins lake and Work by the grass valley Airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I believe I mentioned it to Mercedes once upon a time. My Dad was a Mining Engineer with the Empire Star mine network. I can still remember the big stamp mill at the Star. The rolling mills at the Pennsylvania were pretty impressive too, but nothing like the stamp mill and sluice tables at the Star.

I miss my Mom's pasties (Cornish meat pies for those of you who have never had the pleasure). Any "Cousin Jack's" left in that area?

- Jack
I love touring all the local mines and mineshafts, and around here you can find anything from the 1800's to just 30 years ago that they were active.
they're now opening a new branch of the Idaho maryland mines, and a few others out by the gravel pits, but they're much smaller operations.
those mines are keeping our little community a little above neighboring communities when it comes to employment.

Yes, Cousin Jack's is still here! right there on the corner of South Auburn and W. Main st, where they've been for as long as i've known. one of my favorite local meals

P.S. on the original topic- it mostly melted since my first post, and now it's snowing again- HARD. I'll try to get another picture
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.
Old Tue, February 17th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about

Ok, Couldn't get a picture, but we're getting near half-dollar size flakes :omg: :omg:
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.
Old Tue, February 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Dave,

Love that kinda of snow. We don't get that here in eastern SD very much. They do out in western SD(Lead got 46" in one shot). But for the most part if it snows here it is windy or the wind will follow usually@40 mph+. Talk about white-outs and drifting.

Oh well tonight rain supposed to come and rain for tomorrow also. Make things real interesting tomorrow morning. It will make it really brown here then.

-Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, February 18th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

Jack if you want to make a trip up this way there is a place called Cornish Pasty on 7th St. and Hardy in Tempe. I like it alot, he still wraps them in paper.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Wed, February 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Jack if you want to make a trip up this way there is a place called Cornish Pasty on 7th St. and Hardy in Tempe. I like it alot, he still wraps them in paper.
I suppose I could stop there sometime when driving though. I'm not sure I'm ready for a 2-hour drive (one way) just for Pastys though.

Oh and to secondarychaos - I was using the term "Cousin Jack" to refer to miners from Cornwall (or now, ex/retired miners). But, it's neat they have an eatery that keeps the name alive in Grass Valley.

- Jack
Old Wed, February 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

Oh LOL
the pastie shop here is Called "cousin Jack's pasties"... I always kinda wondered where that name came from.
Closed Thread