Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Thu, January 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

johnnyd will become famous soon enough
Default OBDII "DO NOT REFLASH" Cover - Where can I get one?

Have you guys seen these? They are little covers that say something like "Do not reflash" or something like that. I saw them on a forum somewhere but can't find them now.

Thanks for any help
Old Thu, January 15th, 2009, 11:08 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I dunno, but that's a cool idea! Might have to look into that.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, January 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Double Whopper

MercedesTech is on a distinguished road

Mine are totally custom. Really sweet. You can buy em at your local anything store.

Look like this:
http://halfbackflanker.files.wordpre...postitnote.jpg

Or, you can take thick thick contruction paper. Punch holes in it. Laminate. Zip tie it to cover the port. When done, cut zip ties, and away you go.

Better yet, don't take it to a dealership !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Support your local independant mechanic. Find a good local guy, who works on these things. You can tell him, and he will LISTEN. You usually talk directly to the guy who works on your vehicle, vs. talking to a guy, who tells another guy, who lets another guy know to tell the Mech. Absolutely no reason to visit the dealership. They are always more expensive, and I just don't trust the guys working at any dealer. Usually 1-5 are GREAT, and the other 20 couldn't tell you the difference between a screw or a bolt. I would want to actually meet the guy who turns the wrench. Support your local small business !! Ok, I wont keep ranting !
Old Fri, January 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM

I agree w/you MercedesT but I have an extended warranty. Only reason why I'm going back. I do have a friend who typically is my mechanic if I can't do it. I support him w/

My hvac thread was my horror story w/the dealer. They were one of the 20

Oh yeah, I found a site too for the cover. I think you could buy them in bulk and sell them w/the tuners or give aways or whatever.

http://www.ac3.ca/
Old Fri, January 16th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Double Whopper

right on man. Just so you know, most if nto every, independant mechanic can work on extended warranty work. The only warranty work we stay away from, is your first warranty (3years/36k). After that one, most extended warranties are out sourced to an insurance company. i do extended warranty work on Mercedes all the time. Just so ya know.

And good beer is always the best way to get a mechanic's attention !! I work for beer, thats for sure ! ha ha
Old Fri, January 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM

No chit? I did not know that. I'll have to see if my buddy can work on it for me or knows more about what your sayin'.
Old Fri, January 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Double Whopper

definately. just ask. I am doing extended warranty work on a e-class right now. Its a PITA dealing with the insurance company, but the customer doesn't have to worry about that part !
Old Fri, January 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Mercedes is absolutely correct. You are NOT required to go to the dealer to have warranty repairs done. Any legitimate shop can handle the repairs and the submit the bill to the warranty handler, in most cases a warranty assurance company.

This goes for replacement components. You are not required to buy parts directly from the manufacturer as long as there is an equivalent quality part available. Of course, "equivalent quality" is a fairly loose term but in most cases it's common sense. In nearly all cases, brand name items meet and often exceed the manufacturer's specifications.

As an independent mechanic for 15 years, I have had to fight the stigma that just because they're the dealer, they know what they're doing. Granted, you will find many good technicians among the usual lot of knuckleheads, but often you'll find that some of the techs are completely over their head, especially when dealing with drivability issues. That, plus the fact that the dealerships are going through great effort to void the warranties of their own customers is certainly no incentive for me to bring my stuff back to them for repairs. I'll support the local guy every time.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, January 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Takin the low road.....

Cajun is on a distinguished road

Interesting discussion. So since I have the 100,000 mile power train warranty on my new truck I can take it to the indy guy in town that was working on my old truck and he can possibly do warranty work? I really like the way they work and wouldn't mind giving them anything I need on my new truck. I had already decided they'll get my tire and wheel business for my truck. They'd be doing my maintenance, but I got the dealership to throw that in my deal.

QueenCityBashers.com
South Central NC RC Bashers
Old Fri, January 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Double Whopper

jfuller5 will become famous soon enough

Well, here is another opinion. Another more frequent stigma is tha the dealer costs more. I have 35 years experience with Ford Lincoln Mercury dealers and 12 with Nissan and Volvo and all too often the dealer ends up with the work that cant be figured out at the local level. The customer goes to "My Mechanic" and spends and spends then when at his wits end he unwillingly calls the dealer because of his misconception that he will spend more. Then after all the ill money spent he finds it can be repaired by the trained factory techs in a timely less expensive manner. One trip for repairs is always less expensive than multiple repeat repairs. We run into this day in and day out , you have no idea how many cars come to us for OBDII inspections that the customer is told that the Car will not communicate with the test equipment at the local mechanic. Then suprisingly we hook up and the car communicates fine, the isssue is that they are unable to diagnose the issue correctly so they send the to THE DEALER. Now the dealer is stuck with 2 issues, First is to diagnose the car and 2nd is to Fix the customer who has been brain washed into thinking the dealer is out to get them. Who is out to get who. Also a good point is raised on extended warranty insurance carriers, they will pay for repairs that are made other than at a dealer and are sometimes sold at local used car lots also. I have called many insurance carriers for authorization using aftermarket parts and the are ok but they will only pay fo the amount of Dealer List Prices and very often the OEM part costs less than the aftermarket. A good example of this is steering linkage, OEM is usualy cheaper and the Ins Co wont pay for Moog etc. All these insurance companys have databases that include make specific List prices and they will not pay more. Also i feel there is a misconception that all dealers will void warranty and that is started at the local level. I had a lady with remote car start call today that was told installing it would void her warranty. I expalained to here that that wasn't the case, it would only void the warranty on anything that it may damage or cause. Installation of aftermarket parts do not void Manufacturer warranties. the difference we are talking about here is the difference in people! There are good techs and bad techs good dealers and bad dealers , good nurses and bad, good lawyers and , well you get it . The real answer is to find the real people out there who care and give a s%***t o do business with, the ones you can trust and the ones you cant, they are out there in all walks of life and only the strong survive... Personally makes my skin crawl when i hear people knock dealers in general, or any people in general for that matter. Get to the bottom of it and deal with who you can trust and build a relationship. I haven;t seen that guy that knows it all yet, but i sdo know you need to deal with people that WANNA. To be good at anything you GOTTAWANNA !! Thanks for listening... Jim, Fixed Operations Manager Ford Lincoln Mercury Nissan and Volvo dealer
Closed Thread