Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all
When it rains........

Due to the media-driven condition of our economic state, my employer has cut me down to a 32 hour work week. I know it's not the worst that could happen, but it cuts into my guarantee by 20%. During the last two weeks, I have amassed an entire 34 hours worth of billed labor.

I have elected to take Mondays off (since they're obviously the worst day of the week ).

On the bright side, once my final bits of software show up, I will be able to devote another day to tuning and varied on-the-side work instead of sitting at work, doing nothing, and thinking about what I could be getting done.

Anyhoo, it's another barn-burner of a day here.......holy cow......another front differential rebuild just pulled up.

Have a nice day!
Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Cody

The times are questionable. We got cut to 40 and no more than that or you better have a good reason. My buds who are electricians are down to 32. A lot of the companies cut their contract workers and are just running service vans. So ya its going to get even tougher. We were told to tighten the belts and no unnecessary spending.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

What sucks is technically if you are working less than 40 hours a week, you are not full time and employers could raise the argument that you are no longer entitled to benefits. I could see people going postal over that sort of stuff.

I hope things pick up for you guys.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

We're already starting to see the cut throats coming out of the wood-work! You know, the guys who do the job for little or nothing then if they run into problems(quite often) the job gets change orders. So the final price is what we bid!? But its not their "fault". Get the picture! Or they mess it up so bad that they get fired and we get called in.

Lars

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

That's crap! You bid a job, you stick to it. I've lost money on jobs (sometimes more than I would have made) because I messed up on a quote but had the integrity to stick by the price. Sure, unforeseen things happen, but to go back and jack up a price after the fact is just plain dishonest.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Bill

Good point on the benefits.

Lot more people better watchout for that one.

Now on a different point. A major medical organization in SD, announced 2 weeks ago that they weren't going to lay off but the pay and vacations were reduced accross the board. From the bottom to the top. This org is ran by sisters(nuns) and their mission is to provide med care for anyone. They wrote off $30 million last year!
I thought this was a good hearted noble jesture that not to cut anyone. They estimate this to save them $10 million in the long run.

Lars

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about

I've been stuck to 35 hrs a week and no benefits for a year and a half now... I'd hate to see what would happen if my industry (research and development) got hit by the economy...
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.
Old Wed, March 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Warranty Voider

Dixie Design is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat, got my hours cut down to 32 a week. Luckily I run a successful side business that is BOOMING. I've had more graphic design, t-shirt, decal orders than I've ever had before. So I guess the hour cut has actually helped me stay on my game.

When the "recession" first hit, most of my clients and potential clients dropped off the face of the earth. Companies have started to realize that they HAVE to do something to increase business, and cutting out advertising is the worst thing they can do. When I sit down with someone now, I can tell I have their full attention. I can see in their eyes that they realize they need to do something to bring in more business.

I also have an advantage that I can keep prices low. I don't have much overhead or other expenses so I don't have the "loss" I need to make up for like the bigger companies. I'm seeing a lot of people who outsourced their marketing to Atlanta, Tallahassee, and Jacksonville agencies finally giving me a shot. It's tough times across the board, but I consider myself lucky. I'm hoping that before too long Dixie Design.us will be my only gig. I was working 3 jobs to support my family and my wife working too. I'm very blessed that I'm now working two and my wife only one.

I'm not trying to brag or anything of that sort, I was unemployed this time last year so I know my family has endured the WORST of times. As my dad always told me, "Keep your nose up and your wings level."
Specs: 2004 4.6L SCAB | Gryphon Programmer 87 Performance | Magnaflow True Dual Exhaust - Rear Cat Delete | S&B CAI | Summit Underdrive Pulleys | Troyer eFans (ordered) | Smittybilt Bullbar | Procomp 6" Driving Lights | UWS Toolbox | Rhino Lining | Chrome Steprails | 2.5" Leveling Kit | 265/70/R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT's
Vids: Magnaflow Startup & Revs - Interior Exhaust Sounds
Old Thu, March 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM

Neal,

We are excited that things are improving for you. I was telling Corey this morning that this time last year we were wondering if we'd be able to pay the mortgage or not. It's been a long, tough road and we are thankful for everything we have been blessed with.

Your dad was right. When things are tough, keep your chin up.

(678) 890-1110

Old Thu, March 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Good point Neal your dad is right.

More people should do this instead of complaining. Maybe this mess would be cleaned up sooner

Lars

Closed Thread