Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all
Ford's on Top!

Am I the only one who is happy that Ford seems to be weathering this financial storm better than Brand X and Brand Y? I was also interested to see an article on the internet that said sales of the F150 were down due to the downturn in the home building market (contractors like these vehicles, it seems) and that they expect sales to pick up if the housing market ever recovers.

But, all this goes for naught if the Senators that are trying to block assistance to the Big 3 have their way. In part, it seems these Southern gentlemen of the Republican persuasion have a big interest in seeing some foreign owned car makers, who have plants in their states, succeed. Is this truly what it means to be "patriotic", or "American"?

These guys clearly don't have the "big picture" in mind. Bailout Wall Street, pump more billions into Iraq to support Halliburton, but forget the "working American" (as long as he's not "Southern").

We Ford owners DO have a voice! You might consider letting your Congressman hear from you.

OK, now I can get off my

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

Ford got smart and sold off some of the brands that is had prior to the big down turn. Honda is out of F1 for a savings of 600 mil a year. It was the unions that braught them down. I mean why pay a person $32 an hour to sit and do nothing.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

johnnyd will become famous soon enough

We (home builder) had 5 Fords and just recently sold the work horse of the bunch, 02' F250 v10 Lariat loaded with a 10' Western plow set up for 13k. It only had 68k on it. 3 Heritage models, a 02 and two 04's which now must go. We'll keep the E250.

Hopefully things will turn around and we can go back to supporting our local Ford store.

But yes, I too am happy to hear Ford is weathering the storm.
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 09:35 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

It still annoys the heck out of me that major corporations can go to the government with their hands out and get aid, meanwhile people are losing their homes because they've been laid off by the same bailed out institutions and can't pay the mortgage.

There is something seriously wrong with the financial management of this country, and it doesn't matter who is President, who is in the Senate or who is in Congress. Personal agendas are everywhere and those with power and access use it and abuse it to further their own interests.

I, too, will get of the soapbox now.

Glad Ford looks to be surviving. With the new powertrain lineups for 2010, they'll hopefully maintain their foothold.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light
Where's Ross Perot when you need him?

Damn, I'm old.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 09:50 PM
working for parts.....

Northern Supercrew is on a distinguished road

i was watching the news up here today and if the big 3 go down...that equates into 582,000 canadian jobs too. i couldn't imagine how many more U.S. jobs. Ford seems to have a good business plan for the future...hopefully the new Ecoboost engine coming around '10 will be a hit.
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 10:51 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Bill, maybe the answer is that we DON'T get off the soapbox.

Deep down inside, I DO think our elected officials listen to us IF we make enough noise. (As Janet is fond of quoting, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease").

The trouble is, this whole financial mess is so interrelated. You can't have manufacturing without banks. Workers ARE entitled to decent wages, based on their skills and knowledge and unions have helped them achieve that. Government HAS to subsidize promising technology, or it never advances past the "promise" stage.

Possibly, just possibly, we in America have become too used to an inflated standard of living. Should we all accept the "China model"? What is it, about $300/month and NO benefits?

Really, we simply (and it's not so simple) need to learn how to compete/coexist in a global economy. And, it's getting more and more global every day.

I, for one, appreciate your business model, which seems to be: "Give value to our customers, who are our friends".

I don't think I'm alone in my appreciation.

- Jack
Old Tue, December 16th, 2008, 11:16 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I, for one, appreciate your business model, which seems to be: "Give value to our customers, who are our friends".

- Jack
I'll drink to that!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, December 18th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

johnnyd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Bill, maybe the answer is that we DON'T get off the soapbox.

Deep down inside, I DO think our elected officials listen to us IF we make enough noise. (As Janet is fond of quoting, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease").

The trouble is, this whole financial mess is so interrelated. You can't have manufacturing without banks. Workers ARE entitled to decent wages, based on their skills and knowledge and unions have helped them achieve that. Government HAS to subsidize promising technology, or it never advances past the "promise" stage.

Possibly, just possibly, we in America have become too used to an inflated standard of living. Should we all accept the "China model"? What is it, about $300/month and NO benefits?

Really, we simply (and it's not so simple) need to learn how to compete/coexist in a global economy. And, it's getting more and more global every day.

- Jack
Unions have helped them get a descent wage for their skills? Are you serious? Help me understand the skills that they brought to the table when they where hired in and the value of those skills. In what ways did these skills help the company?
Old Thu, December 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd View Post
Unions have helped them get a descent wage for their skills? Are you serious? Help me understand the skills that they brought to the table when they where hired in and the value of those skills. In what ways did these skills help the company?
Ah - I don't think the auto companies hire workers that are proficient only in camel driving or cotton picking and who can't learn more. Somehow, I expect they want workers that know something about machining, assembly, finishing, electrical work, etc. These are the skills I was talking about. Perhaps the company even taught them those skills - far enough. Airlines train their pilots to fly the company's equipment. Doctors get continuation training. Mechanics get OJT. Same concept.

Once trained, as a mechanic, assembly line technician, pilot, doctor, lawyer, soldier, etc., you should be paid for what you bring to the job. IF not, well then, let ANYBODY do those jobs. Want to let Bubba, in East Overall Patches, MS, come in off the farm and jump into the pilot's seat for your next airline trip?

So, is everyone overpaid? Perhaps. Are you willing to take a pay cut?

Henry Ford shocked the auto industry when he started paying his workers $5+ an hour. Suddenly, they could afford to buy the cars they made. Everyone warned that would be the death of the auto industry. Did it happen? Shouldn't auto workers be able to afford to buy cars?

- Jack
Closed Thread