Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, September 11th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Double Whopper

jmwilso2 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Economy

Hi everyone. I have noticed that the instant fuel economy indication never exceeds 40 mpg, even going down hill at 65mph with my foot off the pedal. Is this normal? Also, how does the Gryphon calculate avg economy? How many miles is the average calculated over, or is it a running average, and does the fact that the instant economy never goes over 40mpg affect this?

Just curious

Joe
Old Sun, September 12th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Mine does the same thing with the IMPG reading (FYI its a regular old gryphon), and from what I understand, the way that the MPG's are calculated is by taking however much fuel is being shot out by the injectors and dividing that by how far the truck has gone based on the revolutions of the tires. Also the gryphon stores a few hundred thousand readings from what ive read (that is a guestimate, i forgot the exact number), which should last a few tanks to give you a better average reading. I have noticed that it changes quite a bit, so IDK how much that actually lasts with the readings, mine usually shows about 1-2 mpgs better than what my manual calculations are. I think the 40 impg readings would help keep this more accurate, but you will have to ask bill for sure. I hope this helps!
Old Sun, September 12th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Lonestar Legend

LonestarROB is on a distinguished road

The old Gryphons do not go past 40(even though you may be getting higher) on the display. The New CS Gryphons will surpass 40.
Old Sun, September 12th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
Mine does the same thing with the IMPG reading (FYI its a regular old gryphon), and from what I understand, the way that the MPG's are calculated is by taking however much fuel is being shot out by the injectors and dividing that by how far the truck has gone based on the revolutions of the tires.
Not sure about this but that sounds pretty good
Also the gryphon stores a few hundred thousand readings from what ive read (that is a guestimate, i forgot the exact number), which should last a few tanks to give you a better average reading.
Close enough but fading out one word to make it accurate

I have noticed that it changes quite a bit, so IDK how much that actually lasts with the readings, mine usually shows about 1-2 mpgs better than what my manual calculations are. I think the 40 impg readings would help keep this more accurate, but you will have to ask bill for sure. I hope this helps!
In color

I dont think the 40 mpg limit is anything to worry about. I can still get my truck average to read 21-22 when I'm on well made road and feel like getting the number up. If a truck gets an average of 16-18 mpg, letting off to throw a length of 40 mpg readings is still going to have more pull on the average than a few 13 mpg hot roddin' miles just because it is so much higher than the average.
Old Sun, September 12th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the clarification, and on another not, when i had my 2001 it only showed up to 30 impg... but no worries, im sure it helped my use my foot less than not having one at all