Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, February 23rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road
Shout it Out Finally tested Gryphon!

Now that my truck is firing properly, I was able to test out my custom tunes. Well, I am wondering why the shift firmness feels way different than my Edge Extreme canned tune. It does not shift hard at all, although way better than stock. I haven't ever changed the shift firmness setting w/ the Edge but had to on my 91 custom tune to get a solid firm shift like I am use to feeling. Any reason why I had to do this? And overall I expected more performance from my custom tunes. Especially since it is accounting for my CAI and exhaust mods. Not to mention 4.56 gears w/ efans. It will spin the tires somewhat off the line but over through the rpm range it feels slower than before when I had the canned edge 91. Make sense? My 0-60 was horrible but I did have some wheel spin off the line. I use to turn WOT fuel all the way up and adjust my timing to .75 w/ my Edge and had no problems and experienced performance gain. The plus side is atleast I don not throw lean codes anymore! I'd like more performance if safely possible. Don't we all!? Last but not least, would running 33" tires w/ 4.56 gears be okay? My tires rub a little too much when I turn sharp, never rubbed w/ 33's. Thanks guys!

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!
Old Wed, February 23rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampsterzone View Post
I'd like more performance if safely possible. Don't we all!? Last but not least, would running 33" tires w/ 4.56 gears be okay? My tires rub a little too much when I turn sharp, never rubbed w/ 33's. Thanks guys!
Firstly where do the tires rub? many times it is just plastic that can be heated then slightly bent out of the way so they don't rub anymore.
Secondly, the keyword with the tunes is exactly how you said, you want more if * Safely* possible. That is the key to Bill's tuning, he does what he does to make sure the trucks will not only outperform stock trucks, but also so they will outperform stock trucks for longer! I am sure that you could push the WOT all the way up, but if it is too far it will actually hinder performance, and definitly reduce your trucks life. these truck's were never meant to be super fast, and the fact that they can still go decently fast, IMHO, shows how good they actually are. for towing, you can't beat fords , but for speed you should really look elsewhere, aka not a truck .
oh and with the tranny, Bill's canned tunes actually made mine shift harder than what I expected, so when I got my custom tunes I had him soften them up a little. shifting hard can be good up to a point, but too hard of shifts makes the rest of the drivetrain unhappy, so be careful with that.
Just thought I would answer what I could, and like always dont take my word for it
Old Wed, February 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Whopper

bubbs16 is on a distinguished road

well ya id think you would see a huge gain at the low end. The gears you have now are extremely low so ya of course you wont have much in the middle/top end. Your geared for low end power now. Maybe you can have your shifts adjusted to the way you like them.
Old Wed, February 23rd, 2011, 09:16 PM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road

Definitely have seen awesome low end gains. I was only unhappy with the shift points and firmness but changed them and now it is way better. I think it is all a matter of picking what works best for my needs, wants, and specific mods. I deeply appreciate Bills mind set concerning our trucks. Can't say enough about PHP! Cody has always been extra helpful too! And I am sure everyone else has an equal re in PHP's success. I have already trimmed the bumper skirt plastic but now I have new rims and they rub.17x8 +6 offset instead of 17x9 -12 offset. Big 'O claimed they would end up being the same but I disagree. Will it be much of a big deal if I go with 33's instead of 35's? Having 4.56 gears.....

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!
Old Thu, February 24th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I dont think it will be a big deal, but you might not like driving on the snow as much because of all the extra torque that will be put to the ground. that will also make your truck feel faster off the line, but it limits your top end, but I'm sure you already knew that
Old Thu, February 24th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

You'll have even more low end if you go down from 35" to 33".

As for performance gains, the CAI and custom tunes are not compounding. The gains you initially had are somewhat offset by the custom tunes because the slight lean condition is corrected for safety.