Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, March 18th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Whopper Junior

deltabowhunter is on a distinguished road
Default Custom tunes or no?

I have a basically stock 2004 F150 Lariat. I am looking at buying an Edge Evolution (monochrome version) and having it converted to a Gryphon. I don't think I would really benefit from any custom tunes, but thought I would ask to get y'alls opinions. The only modifications to my truck are a 2.5" level kit, 35" BFG KM2's, drop in K&N air filter, and a 24" echo tip under the bed right where the muffler was cut off. I have no plans to run anything other than regular unleaded. I get the pure non ethanol stuff when I can, but that is it. Most of my driving is highway at about 40-50 miles a day. Other than the occasional tractor a couple times a year most of my towing is a 14ft jon boat or 5x14 single axle four wheeler trailer with about 1400lbs of four wheeler on it.
Old Fri, March 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

The real benefits to custom tunes is that it is customized to how you drive. so If you are more lead footed like me, then the tune will adjust to that getting you the best performance, but if you are like a friend of mine that likes snails to out accelerate them, then Bill can make that work too. They also adjust to your altitude, which is an issue for me up here at 7000 feet.
I like mine, and I think they were worth the extra $30 each that I paid. If you are only towing up to 1700 lbs then you dont need to worry about the tow tune, but it couldn't hurt for those random times where a friend needs help with a trailer or something.
Hope I helped