Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, March 24th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Whopper

jetpilot2 is on a distinguished road
Default Used Gryphon

I bought a used Gryphon on F150 Forum. IF it was returned to "stock", does it contain "canned" tunes or just custom tunes? If it contains the canned tunes, I assume I can just plug it in and use it? I plan on doing a custom tune when I have time, but will be home tomorrow and the Gryphon is there waiting on me, so I want to get it hooked up for the weekend.
Old Thu, March 24th, 2011, 05:08 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpilot2 View Post
I bought a used Gryphon on F150 Forum. IF it was returned to "stock", does it contain "canned" tunes or just custom tunes? If it contains the canned tunes, I assume I can just plug it in and use it? I plan on doing a custom tune when I have time, but will be home tomorrow and the Gryphon is there waiting on me, so I want to get it hooked up for the weekend.
Yes, you should be able to plug it in and start using the tunes (which ARE the Gryphon canned tunes) right away.

The monochrome Gryphon has a peculiar way of needing to be plugged in first time around, anytime it's unplugged or if the battery is disconnected. You have to FIRST turn the ignition key to ON, engine OFF, and then connect the Gryphon to the OBDII port. It should show your "hex" code, and if it does, you're in business.

I strongly recommend the Level 2 tune as a daily driver until you get custom tunes.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, March 24th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Whopper

Thanks Jack!

I can't wait to get home tomorrow morning and plug 'er in!!

George
Old Thu, March 24th, 2011, 08:38 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I was amazed at the difference in passing performance, what I was looking for, when I got my Edge and loaded Level 2, before it was converted to a Gryphon with custom tunes. The "shift lag" disappeared.

With custom tunes, the difference was not so pronounced, but things seemed "more refined". And, I think my fuel economy improved by about 0.5 mpg too.

- Jack
Old Wed, March 30th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Whopper

Well, it had been about 1.5 months since I drove the truck. I got home, added steering wheel controls, headlights and installed the level 2 and drove it up to the audio shop to hook up the wheel control module. The truck seemed "normal" with perhaps just touch of more pep. To be honest, I was that impressed, but ...okay.

Well Mon., I had to take it in for service before I headed back out of town, so I returned it to stock before going in; NOW I could tell the difference!! It was because I had not driven it in so long I had forgotten how "doggy" it was. When I returned from the dealership and loaded the level 2 again, I was back in business!

Now I'm just waiting on my 87 Performance tune.