Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, March 31st, 2011, 02:05 PM
South Cakalackee is Home

Carolinaboy is on a distinguished road
Default New Tires...now what

Well I got new wheels/tires on the truck Tuesday. I got KMC Monsters with 35x12.5x18 Pro Comp Xtreme A/Ts

Now my question is how do I change the settings on my gryphon. Or more importantly what do I change the size to on it? I know it usually is in mm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Thu, March 31st, 2011, 05:20 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

When you load a tune is when you enter the tire size if I remember correctly.
To find the tire size, there are many options. the best one IMHO is to find from the manufacturer how many revolutions the tire will do in a mile, then divide that by 1609344.
1609344 / Rev per Mile = Tire Circumference in mm
The tire curcumference is what you will enter into the gryphon.
Also if you have a CS or a CTS then you might just put in 35"'s in the setting instead of the number you calculated.

I hope that covers ya, the manual for the gryphon should also explain that a little, might be easier to have the manual right next to you when you put in the tires size
Old Thu, March 31st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Whopper

jetpilot2 is on a distinguished road

Or from another post:

"The circumference is pi x D or: 3.141593 x 35 = 109.955755 inches.
You have to convert that to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4, which gives an unloaded circumference of 2792.88mm.

But now, your heavy truck flattens the tire at the ground which reduces its effective diameter/circumference. Usually, this reduction is about 3%, so multiply the last figure by 0.97 and you get 2709mm (rounded to the nearest whole number).

Try that last number. If the Gryphon's speed is slower than the real speed, increase it. If the Gryphon's speed is faster than the real speed, decrease it. Your dash speedo will always read about 2-3mph faster than the Gryphon, so your goal is to get the Gryphon speed correct (the same as a GPS). When you get the Gryphon's speed right, the dashboard odometer will be correct."
Old Thu, March 31st, 2011, 10:21 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpilot2 View Post
Or from another post:

"The circumference is pi x D or: 3.141593 x 35 = 109.955755 inches.
You have to convert that to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4, which gives an unloaded circumference of 2792.88mm.

But now, your heavy truck flattens the tire at the ground which reduces its effective diameter/circumference. Usually, this reduction is about 3%, so multiply the last figure by 0.97 and you get 2709mm (rounded to the nearest whole number).

Try that last number. If the Gryphon's speed is slower than the real speed, increase it. If the Gryphon's speed is faster than the real speed, decrease it. Your dash speedo will always read about 2-3mph faster than the Gryphon, so your goal is to get the Gryphon speed correct (the same as a GPS). When you get the Gryphon's speed right, the dashboard odometer will be correct."
Good find

What I would do if you don't have a GPS is get the mileage of a non stop route that is at least 10 miles, I like to use google maps for distances. Also have the 2700 number programmed into the gryphon so that you already know your tire size. Clear your odometer and drive the route. When you reach the end simply plug and chug into the following formula:

map mileage / truck mileage x tire size

This should get you zeroed much easier than comparing speeds.
Old Fri, April 1st, 2011, 11:48 PM
South Cakalackee is Home

Carolinaboy is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I got it figured out I plugged in 2709 into it per Jack&Janet's post on F150online for the 3% of squish