Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sun, August 29th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Double Whopper

jmwilso2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jack that does clear it up quite a bit for me. I should have thought of that but it just never occured to me that air induction does occur in discrete pulses same as exhaust. It makes perfect sense though. I just finished installing the Gotts, I did it the same as yours. I test drove it and it seems to drive about the same as the S&B and I have a longer trip to go on
tomorow so I'll find out if I'm still getting the better fuel ecomomy the S&B was giving me. If I'm not, I think I'll try to reach up inside the intake tube and plug or tape over the holes the lead into the silencer. I might do this anyway to see if its safe to remove it without getting that droning noise back. The darn thing does look pretty stupid. If all else fails I may just buy the airforce 1 intake but its so expensive I find it hard to justify the cost from a return on investment standpoint. It would be a "because its cool" purchase as opposed to the easier kind where justify it to myself as saving money in the long run.

Thanks for all the advice.

Joe
Old Sun, August 29th, 2010, 11:20 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I would NOT remove the resonators. If you look at the design, they do not let hot air in, but, they act kind of like spring/shock absorbers, with the holes into the chambers and then the holes in the bottom of the chambers.

It's a bit like a tuned port in a bass reflex sound system loudspeaker. The enclosed space is the spring and the port allows a damping action like a shock absorber. If you tape up the holes or cut the chambers off, you are pretty much back to your commercial CAI design.

- Jack
Old Wed, September 1st, 2010, 08:46 AM
Double Whopper

Hi Jack. I didnt think that removing it would gain me much other than getting rid of something goofy looking under the hood. Thats why I was only planning on doing it if the Gotts mod worked so I woulndt be altering a factory intake I may want to put back on someday when I change vehicles (long way off though). Thats also why I was going to tape over the holes from the inside first to see if it would change the sound too much. By what you've written though, it sounds like the silencing comes not only from the air passage through the unit but also from having something large and springy attached to the main intake tube. So maybe I'll just leave it alone for the time being. I've been driving around with the Gotts a little bit now and it seems to be just as zippy feeling as the S&B but driving the same routes and with just as gentle a foot as I was using before it doesnt seem like I am getting the same fuel ecomomy with it as with the S&B. I was averaging just over 19 MPG with the S&B and Im getting just under 18 with the Gotts. I realize a lot of things can affect this so I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet, just my initial impression.

Thanks for everything

Joe
Old Wed, September 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Interesting feedback, Joe. I'm reasonably certain I gained about 0.5 mpg in highway driving with the Gotts mod. But, as you say, there are MANY factors that effect this, and one tank of gas isn't really a fair test. I came up with my 0.5 figure comparing two trips of about 1,000 miles, but even that has variables that could alter the results.

I DO know that those of us here that are "close" to PHP are firm believers in the Gotts mod. It is certainly possible that a correctly designed commercial intake could beat it performance wise, but the difference would be minimal and would hardly justify the additional expense. I agree though, the commercial CAIs look kind of "cool".

- Jack
Old Wed, September 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM
Double Whopper

Well, I've decided to keep the Gotts, 400 bucks for something only slightly better just isnt worth it. I'm going to put a k&n filter in place of the paper one but thats about it. The major reason I'm doing anything to this truck is for fuel economy thats how I'm justifying it anyway. A ten dollar mod has a much better return on investment than a 400 dollar one. Next project is a flex a lite monster fan. I got most of it installed this afternoon. Just have to hook up all the wires in the morning and them im in business.
Old Wed, September 1st, 2010, 09:27 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Yep, if you gain JUST 1 average mpg it will probably be paid for after about 4 tanks.