Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, January 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road
Question Putting it all together, needing some sound advice.

Thanks in advance to whomsoever replies! I have a '04 F150 w/ the 5.4 3V Triton. I have an AFE cold air intake w/ the Silver Bullet throttle body spacer. Edlebrock headers, true dual exhaust w/ Dynomax Bullet Race muffler. I have the Graphon with custom 91 performance and custom 91 tow tunes coming soon. I had to upgrade my edge evolution so I would stop running lean. I also run 35" tires. Should I change my gears from 3.73 to 4.10? That is what the new Raptors have w/ the 35" inch tires. Also, is there anything else I can do for better performance? How about a supercharger? Worth the money? Again, thanks to those who reply.
Old Sat, January 8th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampsterzone View Post
Thanks in advance to whomsoever replies! I have a '04 F150 w/ the 5.4 3V Triton. I have an AFE cold air intake w/ the Silver Bullet throttle body spacer. Edlebrock headers, true dual exhaust w/ Dynomax Bullet Race muffler. I have the Graphon with custom 91 performance and custom 91 tow tunes coming soon. I had to upgrade my edge evolution so I would stop running lean. I also run 35" tires. Should I change my gears from 3.73 to 4.10? That is what the new Raptors have w/ the 35" inch tires. Also, is there anything else I can do for better performance? How about a supercharger? Worth the money? Again, thanks to those who reply.
Very nice set up. You are obviously aware of the lean condition so no point in beating a dead horse right?

Since you were asking about the gotts I'll say stick with the AFE if you like the open filter. I had an open filter for a while and I liked the sound but I didn't like the high IATs and ended up going back to my gotts modded intake. The only time I go back is if I'll be showing off my mostly stock engine bay. If yours is an open filter I recommend you make something to block hot engine air from getting sucked in. But that is only if you do quite a bit of stop and go driving. If you do mostly highway driving then it doesn't matter.

4.10 gears would help your truck but if you feel the 3.73 gears are doing well enough then I'd leave it.

A supercharger would probably help improve performance Depends on how much you value power. It'll give you more gains than all those mods put together but obviously it has a hefty price. I've only looked at superchargers, never used one so I can't say. Other than that you have to realize you've only got so much engine in a very heavy vehicle. Your tires definitely aren't helping.
Old Sat, January 8th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Come Get Some

lRight on! I know my big tires rob me blind of power but it helps give me the ground clearance I need. I will upload pics of my truck on Monday. My truck has a 5" lift in front and 3" lift in back w/ Bushwacker flares. Thus the bigger tires. I know a lot about what I have but little about what I think I want. LOL! How much for 4:10 gears? Where would I buy them? Are there any other mods I could do besides supercharging my engine? They are expensive and I need time to save.
Old Sat, January 8th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Forum Predator

Kinda left out the lift on the vehicle description.

88Racing, another moderator here, recommends Randy's Ring and Pinion. Give them a call and they'll probably be able to set you up. I've never had to deal with any shop for my truck so I dont know what it costs to have gears swapped out.
Randy's Ring & Pinion. The Differential Experts. Auto Parts & Services.

You could try looking for cams and other internal parts. Those have always shown improvements on gas engines.

Another form of boost that I'm actually considering (if it would just start raining money) is the squires turbo system. Might be worth looking into if you go off road a lot. Sometimes turbo lag can be a good thing out on the trail.
Old Sat, January 8th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Come Get Some

Thank you sooooo much! I truly appreciate your advice and opinion. Yeah, I forgot the lift description. It is kinda nice to have so many mode you forget about them. I will look into what you suggested. How much for that turbo?
Old Sat, January 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Forum Predator

The price varies but looks like it is about the same price as a supercharger. I could have sworn they were quite a bit cheaper...but I also looked at it over a year ago. Damn time flies! . You'll have to find a local dealer and ask them. Just look up STS, they have an F150 package and a dealer list.

I would look into new gears and maybe the e-fans and under drive pulleys. Much cheaper and they help a bit.
Old Wed, January 12th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Whopper

BLFX4K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
The price varies but looks like it is about the same price as a supercharger. I could have sworn they were quite a bit cheaper...but I also looked at it over a year ago. Damn time flies! . You'll have to find a local dealer and ask them. Just look up STS, they have an F150 package and a dealer list.

I would look into new gears and maybe the e-fans and under drive pulleys. Much cheaper and they help a bit.
I've heard the sts system sucks up water, would creating some sort of cover help with this? I get concerned with a rear mount exhaust that cost 2 grand sucking up water and ruining my 42k truck just my 2 cents

Also look into 4.56 gears, more beneficial than going from 3.73-4.10
Old Wed, January 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLFX4K View Post
I've heard the sts system sucks up water, would creating some sort of cover help with this? I get concerned with a rear mount exhaust that cost 2 grand sucking up water and ruining my 42k truck just my 2 cents

Also look into 4.56 gears, more beneficial than going from 3.73-4.10
I personally haven't heard of that happening but you are definitely right. I would spend an extra $50 for some PVC pipe and run it into the engine bay or to any area that is higher up.

I must gotten a price for the twin turbo F150 kit.
Old Wed, January 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

hampsterzone - Since your engine is not being fueled by a carburetor, the throttle body spacer is better used as a doorstop. (Or perhaps you could get someone to buy it from you and put the cash toward new gears which WOULD provide a benefit.)

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, January 12th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Come Get Some

Haha, a door stop? It has been installed a long time ago. LOL! Back before I knew much of anything. I did purchase the 4.56 gears and they will be installed on Wednesday next week. I ordered a set of electric fans as well for my truck from FF Dynamics. I am very excited to see what my truck feels like with the new gears, fans, and graphon w/ 91 custom performance tunes. I have been running stock w/ just CAI and custom exhaust. My truck has not thrown lean codes since I took off my edge and sent it to PHP. All I can say is thanks to everyone who has helped. I have learned a lot lately. And there is a Nissan Titan in big trouble after my mods are completed. He barely beat me on the track last time. LOL. I normally don't race but everyone has talked down my truck cuz it's a Ford. I just think someone ought to show up and give Ford back it's name.

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!