Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Whopper

Flats1 is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust help

Ok I need some help with my truck. My cats on my 2005 4x4 f150 5.4 are clogged. I was wanting to buy a whole new exhaust kit from the manifolds back but nobody sells a kit like that. Does anybody know if there are aftermarket cats that would work with this truck? Also I was considering cutting the cats of since they are so expensive to replace has anybody done that with this truck? Was there any affects to the truck after doing so? I know there would be a check engine light but can i get my edge custom tuned by gryphon to take care of that? Thanks for any help.
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I cant for sure answer all your questions about your truck, but I would for sure check to see if it's legal in your area to run without cats... some areas of the country let you get away with it, but you will want to be sure in order to avoid any possible fines... ,
Also if you dont want to replace both cats, you can just replace 1 and have bill write you a tune to match.
I know there are places that sell manifolds, cats, and cat-back exhausts online, but IMHO I think that you might want to go to an exhaust place and see what they think, and see how much they charge.
Hope I helped
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Double Whopper

jmwilso2 is on a distinguished road

I ordered the dynatech headers for my truck from Jegs performance online, I kept the stock cats in mine but they sell the same kit with a set of high flow cats also.

07 F150 4x4 Super Cab Long box. 5.4L, Gotts mod, Flex-a-lite Monster efan, Dynatech long tube headers, true dual exhaust with x pipe and Borla mufflers, and of course the Gryphon. Bushwhacker extend a fender flares, Tech tube wheel to wheel step bars, Piaa HID Shock Lamp moose spotting lights. Morimoto projector retrofit with 55W HIDs.
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road

How do you know they are clogged? Summit Racing sells high flow cats that will work great for your truck. You can also remove them if your state or county doesn't do emissions testing. You will need 2 dummy O2 sensors that go behing your missing cats so you don't have a check engine light. You can find them online for $99 a piece. I would run 3" true dual exhaust w/ your choice of high flow mufflers, and of course have "The Mad Doctor" adjust your tunes.

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!
Old Thu, January 27th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Whopper

I know the cats are clogged because I have been having trouble with my truck and finally had the time to check the cats and the one side it completly gone I actually poured out some of the cat onto the ground. No we dont have any emmision testing here. So what aftermarket cats will work for my truck? And were would the o2 sensor go?
Old Thu, January 27th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Come Get Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flats1 View Post
I know the cats are clogged because I have been having trouble with my truck and finally had the time to check the cats and the one side it completly gone I actually poured out some of the cat onto the ground. No we dont have any emmision testing here. So what aftermarket cats will work for my truck? And were would the o2 sensor go?
Go to summitracing.com. Enter your info and you should be able to find which one. But I have talked to them and most of thier high flow cats will work as long as they match up on the pipe you have going in and coming out. I can't remember off the top of my head where you get the dummy sensors. Google "dummy O2 sensors" is how I found them. If you do replace your cats, there are 4 sensors. In the front of both cats and one being both cats. Your factory pipe should have places already there for easy install. Just make sure you have them put in after welding is done as not to burn them up! I hope this helps. Good luck my friend.

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!
Old Mon, January 31st, 2011, 06:09 PM
Whopper

Ok guys I got the cat problem fixed....I gutted them. Now I need help with a cat back exhaust what size exhaust pipe should I go with for true duals? Also what kind of muffler? I was also thinking about an x pipe would that help any with performance?
Old Mon, January 31st, 2011, 07:00 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

What a mechanic once told me when I had him install true duals is that there was no need to go larger than 3". and an xpipe or something similar will help balance out the back pressure(at least that is how I understand it), so they are a good thing. I had a magnaflow muffler with an internal xpipe and it worked and sounded really good. not too loud at idle nor low speeds, but it sounded good on the highway too
Old Mon, January 31st, 2011, 08:06 PM
Come Get Some

Here is my 3 cents worth. 3" is the way to go as far as pipe diameter. X pipe sounds to be a good thing. I love my Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers from Summit Racing. My pipe is stock until after my cats then they are 3"'s. I have 4" intercooler echo tips. Make sure to have the exhaust welded where it crosses the transmission unless you don't mind annoying leaks. They leave it like that so you can drop the exhaust to remove your transmission. But I figure who cares about cutting a little exhaust pipe to remove a transmission? At that point I am not worried about my exhaust being cut. I had mine welded and now there is no leaks and it sounds awesome. I get lots of compliments. Oh, and I had Edlebrock short headers installed also.

Old Mon, February 7th, 2011, 11:22 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Clogged cats on a 2005 5.4?

I'd be getting it to a dealer to see if your injectors are ok....there's a tsb on them 120k miles or 11 years whichever comes first......also there's an emissions warranty good up to 80k miles or 8 years.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.