Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, March 30th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Whopper

jetpilot2 is on a distinguished road

At least on the 2wd, the fronts are "struts", the rears are "shocks", hence the difference in price. As already stated, the fronts require a little more labor and a specialty tool, so another difference in price. If you can get ahold of a spring compressor (HEAVY DUTY due to the size of the springs), then it is a very simple job and will save you some money.

Not sure if the 4wd has the same set-up, but I do know some of the parts are the same.
Old Wed, March 30th, 2011, 07:52 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpilot2 View Post
At least on the 2wd, the fronts are "struts", the rears are "shocks", hence the difference in price. As already stated, the fronts require a little more labor and a specialty tool, so another difference in price. If you can get ahold of a spring compressor (HEAVY DUTY due to the size of the springs), then it is a very simple job and will save you some money.

Not sure if the 4wd has the same set-up, but I do know some of the parts are the same.
OK, now that everyone has pointed out how little I know, it all makes sense.

Yes, the fronts are "struts", the rears are "shocks". A strut has to dampen "springyness" like a shock, but also has to resist side forces (and this, of course is because there's no solid axle in the front?). So, it's a bit more complicated than a simple shock. And, it combines the front suspension spring, while on the rear, that part is separate.

But, I stand by my opinion that a shock/strut really doesn't have to be changed immediately just because it's seeping. I don't think they fail catastrophically. And, if the spring portion of the strut were broken, you probably wouldn't want to drive the truck at all, but I doubt that's the problem. So, if it's a seeping shock portion, I rely on the bounce test until I have the money.

- Jack
Old Wed, March 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Awesome! and thanks for all the help!
Old Wed, March 30th, 2011, 09:12 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Probably worth exactly what you've paid for it! (I learned that in my Air Force days.)

- Jack
Old Wed, March 30th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Grown-up in training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Probably worth exactly what you've paid for it! (I learned that in my Air Force days.)

- Jack
I sure hope it save's me money... but dont expect me to pay anyone what I saved...
Old Wed, March 30th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Whopper

jetpilot2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
OK, now that everyone has pointed out how little I know, it all makes sense.

Yes, the fronts are "struts", the rears are "shocks". A strut has to dampen "springyness" like a shock, but also has to resist side forces (and this, of course is because there's no solid axle in the front?). So, it's a bit more complicated than a simple shock. And, it combines the front suspension spring, while on the rear, that part is separate.

But, I stand by my opinion that a shock/strut really doesn't have to be changed immediately just because it's seeping. I don't think they fail catastrophically. And, if the spring portion of the strut were broken, you probably wouldn't want to drive the truck at all, but I doubt that's the problem. So, if it's a seeping shock portion, I rely on the bounce test until I have the money.

- Jack
Jack,

It wasn't meant to prove how much you do or do not know, just provide some info. I also agree with you, no need to replace at this time; just keep an eye on it.

George
Old Thu, March 31st, 2011, 11:40 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpilot2 View Post
Jack,

It wasn't meant to prove how much you do or do not know, just provide some info. I also agree with you, no need to replace at this time; just keep an eye on it.

George
George - PLEASE don't ever hesitate to correct me when I'm wrong! One thing I do not want to do, is put out bad advice/information. As our friend shotgun is fond of quoting from a talk by Gen Powell: "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." Substitute "knowledge" for "judgment", and "mistakes" for "experience" and you understand my philosophy. I don't like to be wrong, but I hate it even more when I'm wrong and don't know it.

I'm always grateful when people take the time to educate me.

- Jack
Old Sat, April 2nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Grown-up in training!

So I finally got around to checking on the shocks myself, and I looked at what the dealer said... Shocks are fine, and they just said to replace them because they are rated for 50,000 miles and I already have 70,000 miles. Guess I can save the money for the future!
Thanks for all the help and advice!
Old Sat, April 2nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
So I finally got around to checking on the shocks myself, and I looked at what the dealer said... Shocks are fine, and they just said to replace them because they are rated for 50,000 miles and I already have 70,000 miles. Guess I can save the money for the future!
Thanks for all the help and advice!
THAT, is a new one on me! I would not touch them if the bounce test says they're good!

- Jack
Old Wed, April 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

My next set will be the Bilsteins.....

I did look into king shocks and wow!
A set of those will set you back a lot....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.