Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, April 25th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Whopper

gusto is on a distinguished road
Default power loss

I have a question about my 08 5.4L supercrew. I have a Gryphon with custom tunes and a afe CAI along with a 3" magnaflow SOS. I recently was driving and stopped at a light and when i pulled away at the green the truck had a power loss and sounded like a quiet diesel. I pulled over and shut it down and when i started it up it went away. This has happened twice now but a month apart. any ideas or answers? please help
Thanks
Old Tue, April 26th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Did you see any lights or pull any DTC's? if not, try and get them before you turn the truck off, then write them down and post them, that will help diagnose the problem.
Old Tue, April 26th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Did you have any lights come on? There probably aren't any codes if it went away after you turned the truck off? Go ahead and check for codes though. I think it has happened to me once but it was before I had the gryphon to check codes.
Old Tue, April 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Whopper

no lights or codes but i just crawled under and noticed a small oil leak and checked the oil and it was down a quarter. I am unsure what it is.
Old Tue, April 26th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Grown-up in training!

I had a truck that the only oil leak was from a bad oil drain plug.. might check that or any other seals that are easily visible from underneath... some might be a simple fix, others not so much... but that shouldn't have any effect on the power situation.
I've never had the power loss situation so I can't help too much more than that... good luck and I hope we figure it out!
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 07:42 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I agree, an oil leak won't cause a power loss, not at 1/4 quart low.

This really sounds like "limp home mode". I can't understand why you did not get a Check Engine Light or any codes though.

Was it possibly at the same spot each time? Other users have noted flaky performance when driving under a high voltage power line. Do you know if this could be a factor?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Whopper

I notice it off a light or just around 1500 to 2500 rpm it is weird. A friend told me to clean my throttle body and air intake and filter. Been way to busy to do a simple maintenance He said it might be choking out. Something to try. I agree with the oil problem being a separate issue. I will keep you posted.
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Grown-up in training!

I agree that it won't hurt to do the maintenance, and you will probably notice a difference in performance if they are noticeably dirty. I probably need to do that myself lol, thanks for the update.
Old Thu, April 28th, 2011, 08:56 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Check the fuel pump driver control module....they can have issues also....such as corrosion on the back mounting plate...

It's located on the frame cross member just in front of and above the spare tire drivers side...

When this thing has issues there are no CELs or codes....

http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...highlight=fpdm

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, May 26th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Double Whopper

PhqChevys is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you've got the same problem as some others out there (including me). I'm just getting into researching this problem for my truck. I found this thread... http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/gryph...puttering.html. It described my problem pretty accurately. I still haven't found the cure, but I'm sure there's one out there...

There are plenty more threads on the forum about it, search the word "sputtering" and you'll find a lot more info about it...