Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Whopper

Medic150 is on a distinguished road
Default Just picked up a used Gryphon

I just picked up a used Gryphon, the unit was unlocked and Has the 3 canned tunes..

What are the 3 tunes that come with the unit ?

Which one is best for fuel economy ?

Also the previous owner says I dont need to look for the ECM code as it will appear on the display..

Any tips for first time user ???

Thanks.
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Is it a monotone Gryphon? They come with the tranny only tune, an 87 octane towing, and a 93 octane performance.
What modifications do you have on your truck?
Most recommend the 87 octane because it uses 87 octane gas versus the more expensive octanes. Economy will be fairly similar on either tune.
Yes your hex code will show up, just be sure to write it down if you want your custom tunes.
Tips... Dont enjoy it too much!
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Whopper

2005 Lariat 4x4

Gotts Intake Mod
K&N Drop In Filter
FlowMaster Muffler (not sure on the details as it came with truck)
Troyer E Fans
Gryphon (Not Installed)

Not sure if it is a Monotone ?? Not sure what this is..

What can I expect when I plug it in ?

What exactly is the "tranny tune" ?

Thanks
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Grown-up in training!

Look at my album, my gryphon is a monotone, no color except the black lcd screen and backlight leds. being that you got it used, I would guess that you have the monotone gryphon. Did you make sure it was setup for your
The tranny tune is a tune that just modifies the transmission. It makes it shift better which also makes it last longer because there is less wear and tear on it.
Go here and download the manual for your Gryphon and it will explain a lot better on what you need to do to install the Gryphon in your truck. also you can download Pegasus there.
The biggest things to worry about is to plug the Gryphon in with the truck's key in the on position, but without the engine running. The Gryphon will initialize and it will then display your hex code. it should stick around until you hit a button so write it down then send it in if you want custom tunes.
After it goes through that it will ask if you agree to a warning of some sort, then it should take you to the main screen with 4 parts, each part is customizable to display a different thing such as cylinder head temperature, intake air temperature, what gear you are in, miles per gallon instant or average, and a number of other things.
To tune it you should hit the menu button, go to the performance settings menu, then pick your tune you want to use. Do Not customize the tune for the first time you program it, but you can in the future if you don't like a few things, or you change your tire size or anything like that.
let the tune load, once you are back to the main screen you can then start the truck and enjoy the tune.
Any other questions feel free to ask, like they say, the only dumb question is the one that isnt asked.
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Monochrome

Looks like none of your mods require a custom tune so if you like the canned tunes just stick with them.

First thing you need to do is read the manual.

The tranny tune, as Tico said, only modifies the transmission's shifting strategy. It does not make any performance changes to the engine. This tune runs on 87 octane.

The tow tune modifies both the engine and transmission strategies. It is the tune that most people use as their daily driver because it has noticeable performance gains while still being able to use the lower octane gas.

If I were you I'd try out these two out because they do not require any higher grade gas.
Old Fri, April 29th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Whopper

Ok cool. Thanks for that link Tico. That answered alot of my questions. Having the manual is always a good thing... There are still some things I am not sure about. But I guess The more i mess around with it the more I'll understand how it works.

LongShot, So the tow tune is not only for towing. It's also going to improve the performance and shifting. Should I expect some fuel savings with the tranny or towing tunes ??

I am trying to read up on everything but it's just alot to grasp in a short period of time. Why the tranny problems??

I have a few ?? Regarding the Pegasus. Any pointers on this would be great.

I just read that the Pegasus will not work on a MAC, I have a desktop PC with Vista and can install the program there, but how can I get the downloaded content to the gryphon ??

Thanks so much guys.

Last edited by Medic150; Fri, April 29th, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old Fri, April 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Grown-up in training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic150 View Post
Ok cool. Thanks for that link Tico. That answered alot of my questions. Having the manual is always a good thing... There are still some things I am not sure about. But I guess The more i mess around with it the more I'll understand how it works. Lol I usually figure out the most about my things by messing around with them

LongShot, So the tow tune is not only for towing. It's also going to improve the performance and shifting. Should I expect some fuel savings with the tranny or towing tunes ?? Yes there should be some noticable savings with the tow tune, and possible some, but not near as much, with the tranny tune.

I am trying to read up on everything but it's just alot to grasp in a short period of time. Why the tranny problems?? What problems are you referring to?

I have a few ?? Regarding the Pegasus. Any pointers on this would be great.

I just read that the Pegasus will not work on a MAC, I have a desktop PC with Vista and can install the program there, but how can I get the downloaded content to the gryphon ?? You just use any USB cable that fits both your computer and the gryphon... it uses the most common cable available. The manual should explain how to do the actual transfer of the tunes, but basically you update the gryphon, then there is a menu option to load tunes.

Thanks so much guys.
Answers in Blue
Old Sat, April 30th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Whopper

As for the tranny ??'s. I'm referring to different threads I've seen around with guys having transmission problems. I'm not sure if they are related to the different programmers or if it's just normal wear.

As for transferring the info. I guess what I'm trying to say is. Do I need a laptop with windows or can I transfer the tunes / images using a flash drive or something.
Old Sat, April 30th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Grown-up in training!

Yes you need a computer with windows to transfer the tunes, you pull the gryphon out of the truck to do it so you don't need a laptop, just a computer.
And the tranny problems that I have seen people talking about recently are with diesel trucks, but they are always possible with our trucks... Longshot or Jack or someone would know more about any tranny problems better than me, they have been looking at them longer
Old Sat, April 30th, 2011, 05:42 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
Yes you need a computer with windows to transfer the tunes, you pull the gryphon out of the truck to do it so you don't need a laptop, just a computer.
And the tranny problems that I have seen people talking about recently are with diesel trucks, but they are always possible with our trucks... Longshot or Jack or someone would know more about any tranny problems better than me, they have been looking at them longer
I believe the transmission problems you may be talking about are with the Edge Juice programmer, which is designed for diesels. There are no transmission problems associated with the Evolution models or, with any of Bill's tunes.

There IS another tuner though, who works primarily on diesel applications, who seems to have a fairly high failure rate among the engines he's tuned. This is not Bill Cohron (PHP), or two other tuners you may have read about: Mike Troyer and Justin Starkey. These three are top-tier tuners and, of course, our personal favorite among them is Bill.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer