Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, May 17th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Whopper

smokinsrt is on a distinguished road
Default What kind of gains with headers?

I have a Banks cat back exhaust and intake and a Gryphon tuner now I've been thinking of stepping up and getting some headers and a Y pipe. My question is what kind of gains will I see with this and will it be worth the trouble? Any suggestions on where to look and what to get? What about getting cats or not and if not what about my o2 sensors?
Old Tue, May 17th, 2011, 08:02 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinsrt View Post
I have a Banks cat back exhaust and intake and a Gryphon tuner now I've been thinking of stepping up and getting some headers and a Y pipe. My question is what kind of gains will I see with this and will it be worth the trouble? Any suggestions on where to look and what to get? What about getting cats or not and if not what about my o2 sensors?
Long tube headers, coupled with an X pipe or an H pipe, should improve the way your engine performs. The goal is to even out the exhaust pulses so that one does not interfere with another. A Y pipe (what you really have now) will not do that and long tube headers are needed to "time" the exhaust pulses properly.

Anything behind the CATs is mostly for show or sound.

If you change the headers to long tube, you will need new tunes, as will a conversion to a true, dual exhaust.

I don't have any opinions on CAT deletes or O2 sensor mods.

What do you gain? Probably not much actually. You'll probably be able to feel it, but what is that worth? There's also the sense of having the most "finely tuned" system. Really, only you can decide.

Don't hear me putting you down. I'm not. We ALL need to spend money on our "toys". I recently installed a Kenwood 7160 GPS NAV head unit and a new backup camera on my truck (over $1000), but it was a lot of fun doing it. And, I'm now thinking of building a computer. Payback? ZERO! Fun? You bet!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, May 18th, 2011, 07:32 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Jack's on the right track.

With an internal combustion engine, the only way to get more power is to increase airflow and the amount of fuel going into the engine. The downside to having a gasoline-powered vehicle is that a strict air/fuel ratio must be maintained at all times to make the engine run.

The trick comes when trying to increase the volumetric efficiency of your gasoline engine. Without major engine modifications, the VE doesn't change. Volumetric efficiency is expressed as a percentage because it's a ratio of how much air the engine can physically "hold" versus how much air is actually able to get in under wide-open throttle.

If a person is to artificially cause a slight increase in VE, then it is certainly worth it. However, keep in mind that when you increase airflow, you MUST increase fuel delivery.

Long-tube headers can have an effect on VE at certain RPM because the flow from each cylinder's exhaust port isn't interrupted by the flow from another port on that bank of cylinders as is the case with standard "log" style exhaust manifolds. In addition, the laws of physics and fluid dynamics state that there are negative pressure waves that "follow" the high pressure pulses that are sent down each tube when the exhaust valve opens and the spent gasses are expelled. At certain engine RPM, these exhaust pulses from each individual pipe can actually cause a "scavenging" effect on adjacent cylinder header tubes and help "draw out" the exhaust from other cylinders. This helps reduce what are called "pumping losses" and help the engine work less to make the same amount of power.

Now for the reality of it.....
When aftermarket companies deal with an existing platform like your F-150, they have a TON of space restraints and a very few places to properly route the header tubes. Properly built headers are "tuned" to a particular engine for a specific RPM range. When aftermarket companies build these headers, they are built to fit within the confines of the truck so you may end up with a set that operates efficiently on one bank in a certain RPM range and the other bank will operate efficiently at a completely different range.

Truth be told, the sound of the exhaust is probably the biggest change you'll notice by going to headers unless you want to spend the money to have a custom set built JUST for the way you drive. The stock exhaust systems on these trucks are very well designed (believe it or not). It's quiet, flows very well, has minimal backpressure (which is something you DO NOT want contrary to popular belief), and it fits well without vibration or drone.

I can't speak for Ford, but GM's specification for the backpressure on their newer LS engine trucks (99-present) is .5 PSI at full load/max RPM. I can't imagine Ford's being much different.
Old Wed, May 18th, 2011, 09:29 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Nicely explained, Cody -

I hadn't thought about space restrictions in our trucks. Makes a whole lot of sense that we really wouldn't gain much at all.

I guess, smokinsrt, you'll just have to save up for a blower!

- Jack
Old Wed, May 18th, 2011, 05:32 PM
semper fi

jmt0645 is on a distinguished road

from my personal experience, headers don't really add alot of power to our trucks as much as the way it makes that power. mine for instance has alot "broader" torque curve than before which is what i was after.