Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, June 2nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Whopper Junior

EskimoDragon13 is on a distinguished road
Default AirRaid CAI, Edge/Gryphon CS, e-fan & pulleys

I have a 2006 F150 5.4L and I have an AirRaid CAI coming in that should be here tomorrow. I've heard that CAI's can run a little lean on our trucks. I'm also planning on installing a Troyer e-fan (maybe FF Dynamics e-fans) and underdrive pulleys, but I haven't purchased those yet.

So my question is to those that have more knowledge than I do on these matters. Do you think with the possibility of running the CAI for most likely at least a month if not 2-4 based on shipping parts, waiting for custom tune for my Gryphon CS, and installing other mods would you advise not putting the CAI on yet?
Or is running lean not really even an issue?

How long would you be comfortable with having it installed without the custom tune? I don't really want to pay for a custom tune on just the CAI and then have to do another one shortly after for the other mods. Right now I just have stock Edge CS programming my truck to power level 2 (Towing). I was thinking of doing the CAI on Sunday since my wife will be out of town and I'll be free that day.

Last edited by EskimoDragon13; Thu, June 2nd, 2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old Fri, June 3rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Personally, I'd return the intake before you open it and do the gotts mod. It doesn't cause any lean conditions and allows slightly more aggressive tuning without droning.

But if you really want it for the looks you can run the tow tune.
Old Fri, June 3rd, 2011, 11:43 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

What he said.

The "cold air intakes" (laughable at best) don't give you any performance increase over the stock intake when combined with the larger fender snorkel. You'll get a lot more cabin noise with an aftermarket intake though, so if that's your thing, then there's no harm in running a filter-on-a-tube setup. Some trucks do not need custom tunes for aftermarket intake systems while others do. My recommendation is that if you do go for an aftermarket intake, drive it around a bit with the programmer and see what happens. If you run into driveability problems like surging, hesitation, detonation, etc., then look into custom tunes.

Nothing else on your list really requires custom tunes but you may want to raise the idle speed slightly to accomodate the slower drive speed of the alternator and other belt-driven accessories.
Old Mon, June 6th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Whopper Junior

EskimoDragon13 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply guys.

So since I had already purchased the intake and it would have had a restocking fee, I went ahead and installed it to give it a shot. I figure I can remove it and go back to stock or gotts down the road if I want.

Sound is great but not overpowering (which is wonderful)....if I do get on it, it does seem a bit more responsive and seems to pull slightly harder. But my initial observations on MPG seems to be worse.

I haven't had my Edge CS for long, but previous to the CAI install i could set cruise at 50 mph with AC on and on a flat road get the Edge gauge to be in the 21-24 mpg instant read range....it seems that the same setup on the same roads only is netting approximately 19-22 mpg. Now, I don't fully trust the instant read gauges on the Edge so I'll reserve full judgment until after I do hand calculations on a couple tanks, but my driving style has not changed, if anything I'm more conscious of it, but it seems like I may be getting lower values if my Edge gauges have anything to say. Through acceleration it also seems to have dipped with the similar mindset to keep rpms 1800 or below.

Also, on a hot hot day here in Orlando, FL I noticed the Intake Air Temps got up to 110F...previously the hottest I had NOTICED was only 106F (but I didn't monitor that closely before the install). But it's something to keep in mind for anyone else considering this.

If I could get the same mpg (hopefully slightly better) with a custom tune than before the CAI install then I would probably keep the CAI for my initial observations on performance and sound (might help with passing on the highways). I'll post an update later after I get through a couple tanks and do the hand calculations.

Just to note: the truck is an 2006 5.4L 4x4 supercrew and I roughly got 12.5-14 mpg before the mods with my average over the last few tanks being in the 13's and my best ever being 14.3 mpg.