Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, March 24th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Double Whopper

axlehead is on a distinguished road
Default Couple Questions

I have decided on getting the gryphon, I was initially looking at the Edge but was swayed this way from F150forum. But I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answer to with the search bar. Two questions actually. I will be getting custom tunes so I was wondering if there is any real difference in power if I stick with the drop in K&N filter or add a CAI. Also are the custom tunes preloaded onto the tuner or do I have to download them later? I have an 03 F150 Supercrew 5.4L. Thanks. I will be purchasing soon.
Old Tue, March 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlehead View Post
I have decided on getting the gryphon, I was initially looking at the Edge but was swayed this way from F150forum. But I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answer to with the search bar. Two questions actually. I will be getting custom tunes so I was wondering if there is any real difference in power if I stick with the drop in K&N filter or add a CAI. Also are the custom tunes preloaded onto the tuner or do I have to download them later? I have an 03 F150 Supercrew 5.4L. Thanks. I will be purchasing soon.
Every post on this forum tells me that a CAI can give you a better boost in HP/torque over just the filter swap. Consider: A filter only lets in the max amount of air when it's clean. Ironically, it can also let in some potentially damaging crud at that time too. However, as its filtering surface gets coated with grime, its ability to filter finer and finer particles actually increases, and, its ability to pass air to the engine decreases. So, it's kind of a win/lose situation. A very high priced filter tries to filter to a very small micron level and compensates for the potential of reduced airflow by increasing surface area (through pleating or other fancy design techniques), but, I bet after about 100 miles in dusty conditions, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference over OEM.

The CAI, though, opens the intake area for air input and this does not change over time. At high RPM, the engine can get more air, so, it can also burn more gas and give you more power.

Oh, and look into the Gotts Mod CAI for your year model truck. It can save you some serious change.

On the Gryphon, Bill can send you the unit right away with "canned" tunes and you can download custom tunes later. That way, you get to play with it right away and I guarantee you WILL see a difference in performance, even with canned tunes. OR, Bill can delay shipping the Gryphon until he's loaded your custom tunes. That means you might be waiting 4-6 weeks for it. (Your tunes are written according to when you placed your order, and if there were 100 people ahead of you....)! I'd get the hardware right away, so I'd have something to play with.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, March 25th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Double Whopper

well I am going to go ahead and purchase my gryphon now. I think I am gonna skip the CAI intake for now and once I get around to it I will get a retune. I just want my programmer. LOL
Old Wed, March 25th, 2009, 07:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Good plan!

- Jack
Old Wed, March 25th, 2009, 11:20 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
OR, Bill can delay shipping the Gryphon until he's loaded your custom tunes. That means you might be waiting 4-6 weeks for it. (Your tunes are written according to when you placed your order, and if there were 100 people ahead of you....)! I'd get the hardware right away, so I'd have something to play with.

- Jack
For this option Jack, would you have to use a scan tool to get the HEX code or have a dealer get it for you, using their methods?

Lars

Sorry didn't want to hijack the thread.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 10:14 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
For this option Jack, would you have to use a scan tool to get the HEX code or have a dealer get it for you, using their methods?

Lars

Sorry didn't want to hijack the thread.
It's not a hijack, Lars, just a darned good question. I guess I was lumping the way Bill and Corey would now like to handle Edge/Gryphon conversions into the purchase of a Gryphon, which is probably an error on my part. I guess you could get the HEX code from a dealer at a price (which I would not want to pay and I doubt most people have a scan tool. Supposedly the HEX code is on a label on the PCM, but danged if I can find it on mine. I see a part number, a serial number, it's made by Motorola, and a few other bits of information, but nothing looks like a HEX code (and, if it was reflashed, a label number would be wrong anyway).

So, the option to have the tunes preloaded really only applies to an Edge/Gryphon conversion and you'd want to read the HEX code on the Edge screen before shipping it off. (Bill MAY be able to retrieve it from a stored file on the Edge too, but I'm guessing here).

So, for someone ordering a Gryphon (not a conversion), you get the unit, plug it in, read and send the HEX code in to PHP and then play with the canned tunes while you wait for custom tunes.

And sorry if I confused anyone. I blame it on my advanced age. Thanks, Lars!

- Jack
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Double Whopper

ok so as far as custom tunes, I was wondering does anyone know the performance difference between the tunes? I want to get an 87 Performance tune and was also considering a 91 Performance. But is the canned 93 Perfomance as good as the 91? If thats the case I will stick with the canned 93 for play time. Also does the 91 Performance have better fuel economy then stock or the 87 tune? That is of course if I keep my foot out of it.
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlehead View Post
ok so as far as custom tunes, I was wondering does anyone know the performance difference between the tunes? I want to get an 87 Performance tune and was also considering a 91 Performance. But is the canned 93 Perfomance as good as the 91? If thats the case I will stick with the canned 93 for play time. Also does the 91 Performance have better fuel economy then stock or the 87 tune? That is of course if I keep my foot out of it.
I can't give you specifics, but a custom tune will be better than the (same?) canned tune.

The canned performance tune is a 91+ octane tune, meaning you should only use it for gas that's at least 91 octane. If you ran 93 octane gas in it, You'd want to increase your timing by 1 degree. Bill would probably be able to make the 91 octane tune even more responsive than the canned tune. He would not try to sell you the tune if he couldn't do this.

Everyone says they DO get better fuel economy using a 91 octane tune over an 87 octane tune. This makes sense if you realize that a 91 octane tune is going to deliver more power (per unit of gas) than the 87. If you don't need that extra power, (keeping your foot out of it), you will use less gas. But, you MAY not save enough to make the high octane tune worth it. If high octane gas costs 10% more than 87 (about what it is here in Tucson), will you gain 10% or more in gas mileage? (You'd have to pick up that 10% to break even - I'd have to see a 1.55 mpg increase to make it worthwhile). I think this number IS possible, but I have not tried it.

I definitely picked up economy running the custom tunes over the canned ones. I added about 0.5-0.6 mpg while towing and close to 1 mpg on the highway when not towing.

Hope this helps.

- Jack
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Double Whopper

well I settled for the one custom tune. 87 Performance. For some reason the order form lists the stock performance tune as 93 octane. I was only wondering because I wouldn't mind having the option to switch to the higher octane tune for more power. However if the stock 93 tune, or 91 if thats what it really is, gives a bit more kick than the 87 Custom Tune then I am set. I realize that either way I will get more power with whichever tune I get. And I also got the CAI after begging the wife so im sure that will help. Now I just cant wait for my tuner.
Old Fri, March 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Double Whopper

order was placed yesterday, how long does it usually take do get a response to know that they got your order?