Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon, August 9th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Bacon King

Pocket is on a distinguished road
Default Shift strategy idea

Truck is finally out of the shop, and seems for now that everything is completely fixed. Whew, only took... what, 10 months?

Anyway, I've been pondering a new shift strategy to try. For a while I kept playing around with the shift points, making my graphs ramp up smoothly... and not getting the results I wanted. It wouldn't upshift when I liked, it wouldn't downshift when I was expecting. Sooooooo......

I'm doing something different. My graphs will no longer be smooth. More like stairs. Yep, flat spots, abrupt rises.... my graphs will litterly look like cartoon drawn stairs.

Ok, not that many steps, but you guys get the point.

Reason I'm doing this is that since my truck has been broken down so much, I've been driving my wife's BMW constantly. I've gotten very spoiled to how it shifts, which IMO is as perfect as any vehicle can get. However, in driving, I started paying attention to the feel of the pedal vs the vehicle speed, and how it responded to upshifts/downshifts.

After really driving it and testing it, I noticed that shift points seem to be more in graduated "steps", rather than smooth linear transitions. The pedal had specific ranges before it downshifted, and again would have ranges before it would upshift. So instead of a slight adjustment on the pedal resulting in an instant upshift or downshift... a slight adjustment of the pedal would change fueling, but without the annoying and unwanted gear change. However, these ranges were small enough that a quick downshift, when warranted, happened when I wanted, and precisely at the pedal position I was expecting.

So yeah, that's it. I'll keep you guys updated with what I find. If it works, and I get it adjusted how I like it... I'll post some screenshots.

If it doesn't work, then this thread will self-destruct in 3.....2.....1.......