Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sun, February 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Default Belt Slippage

Did not know of one common place to post this thread.

Hate to disappoint you guys but this is not just a Ford thing!!!

Belt slippage is a side affect of almost every serpentine belt system ever manufactored. Most of the direct cause is the tensioner and it's inability to keep up with system load. More at WOT but also times at shift points when AC is on and a good load is on the alternator when driving vehicle sensibly. Bill has noted this in another thread.

There are companies that sell better designed belts than that of the OE style. They definately help the system. Also stiffer tensioners are offered for more HO systems. Under drive pulleys also can dampen the sound.

The worst one I ever heard doing this was a Buick gnx 3.8 with twin turbos after it launched off the line. That owner replaced the belt every race.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm not a fan at all of the serpentine belt system. It was the first thing I noticed when I opened the hood of my truck when I was considering buying it and my heart sank! If one of these things breaks, you're absolutely dead!

At least with the old, multi-belt systems there was a chance you could perform an emergency repair with one of those "belt kits" if you didn't have the better alternative, which was some good old US Army commo wire. And, if you were lucky, it might not have even been a critical belt that broke.

Ah, progress - gotta love it!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Just from experience I always keep a spare in the truck with a belt tensioner wrench. In every vehicle that I have ever owned and operated. Cheaper than calling a tow truck! In the work truck I even keep a spare idler pulley and a tensioner. A little over kill? Na I just don't like waiting.

Lars.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Just from experience I always keep a spare in the truck with a belt tensioner wrench. In every vehicle that I have ever owned and operated. Cheaper than calling a tow truck! In the work truck I even keep a spare idler pulley and a tensioner. A little over kill? Na I just don't like waiting.

Lars.
Good idea! Why didn't I think of that? :o

- Jack
Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road

I keep a old one with me as well, you ever know.