Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, April 17th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Double Whopper

Dfishrmn is on a distinguished road
Default 4-3 Downshift Rough

I have recently noticed a rough downshift from 4 to 3 at lower speeds. It is fine when kicking it in to passing gear except for a lag or plateau before it starts to accelerate. At lower speeds it seems to have a hesitation then just jumps to 3rd, even at a normal downshift (coming to a stoplight, etc.) Kinda hard to explain the feeling but is not normal. This just started happening after I installed a 14" Magnaflow muffler on an otherwise stock exhaust. Bill said there was no need to re-program because of this mod so don't know what is wrong. Maybe a coincidence with the Magnaflow. I am running the shift firmness at +10 on all shifts, besides that no modifications to the custom 87 performance tune as far as shifts are concerned. Tranny had a complete flush 10K miles ago at 35,000 mi. The downshift doesn't rattle your teeth but is annoying! Also wonder why it has the "flat spot" mentioned previously when downshifting in heavier acceleration situations. I would appreciate any input!
Old Sat, April 18th, 2009, 09:43 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I think you DO have custom tunes, is that right?

I'm a bit surprised at your +10 shift settings. Bill sets up the shift pressures to be about optimum in his custom tunes, and I've left mine at 0 - the shifts still feel like a "boot" in the rear to me. Bluejay, long time user of custom tunes over on the f150Forum uses only a +6 firmness setting I think on the 3-4 shift.

But, you're talking about downshift, which may be a whole new thing. I wonder if the torque converter is staying locked longer than it should? Possibly try adjusting the TC unlock in the positive direction for 4-3 downshift? It won't hurt anything to try, and I'd try a setting of +5. (You can go all the way to +/- 10 at 3-4, 4-3 upshift/downshift).

If that doesn't work, I expect the Mad Doctor will have to work his magic.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, April 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I think you DO have custom tunes, is that right?

I'm a bit surprised at your +10 shift settings. Bill sets up the shift pressures to be about optimum in his custom tunes, and I've left mine at 0 - the shifts still feel like a "boot" in the rear to me. Bluejay, long time user of custom tunes over on the f150Forum uses only a +6 firmness setting I think on the 3-4 shift.

But, you're talking about downshift, which may be a whole new thing. I wonder if the torque converter is staying locked longer than it should? Possibly try adjusting the TC unlock in the positive direction for 4-3 downshift? It won't hurt anything to try, and I'd try a setting of +5. (You can go all the way to +/- 10 at 3-4, 4-3 upshift/downshift).

If that doesn't work, I expect the Mad Doctor will have to work his magic.

- Jack
Yes I have the custom 87 Performance. I'll give the TC unlock a try and let you know how it comes out. I'll back the firmness off a bit too just to see how that works. Thanks for your input Jack!
Old Wed, April 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Double Whopper

Just an update here. I tried increasing increasing the 4-3 unlock by 5 and it seemed to help. I then upped it to +8 and that helped a little more. It still is noticable but not near what it was. I'm a little concerned about increasing it any more than that. Thanks for the input Jack!
Old Wed, April 22nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The thing to be careful with is to avoid crossing the unlock points past the lockup points. This can cause erratic converter operation. If you raise the unlock point, also make sure to raise the corresponding lockup point around the same amount.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!