Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, May 18th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Your Mom's favorite :D

Grabber523 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
"Both" efans kicking in when they are supposed to?

Maybe a bad controller or relay?

Just trying to figure it out too!

If you have access to a "point and shoot" IR gun aim it at the upper radiator hose to get the best temp to dial in the controller.

Lars
Ahh...good somebody beat me to the e-fan relays/wiring...but it should do it all the time unless the relay just happens to stick intermittently...but then again it would still be in all tune levels...dunno.
Old Mon, May 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Bacon King

Sburn will become famous soon enoughSburn will become famous soon enough

As somebody posted earlier: Check for trouble codes. Also was the check engine light on? The "wrench" (ETC) light?

I can't imagine your truck running that rotten and not having puked up a code or three.

Old Mon, May 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Your Mom's favorite :D

Grabber523 is on a distinguished road

They won't always throw codes. I've had plugs crap out in the Mustang on the highway and it took a couple miles of limping on 7 cylinders before the computer finally woke up and threw a code.
Old Tue, May 19th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Whopper

MyMuddyTruck is on a distinguished road

After the first time, I popped the hood to check the e-fans and both were on and in high speed. Later, I checked the records in the programmer and it was showing CHT 244. I'm guessing it was from that time my truck went crazy because my truck has never heated up before. The temp that day was 89. Also, I did not get any check engine light. My truck has been running fine since that time and I have been trying to get it to happen again but I am on level 2. The 2 times I tried level 3 the problems happened. I am totaly stumped as to why this happened. I really don't want to call Bill and take him away from what he is doing but I think thats my only option at this point to try to figure this out. Thanks to everyone that tried to help me out.
Old Tue, May 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMuddyTruck View Post
After the first time, I popped the hood to check the e-fans and both were on and in high speed. Later, I checked the records in the programmer and it was showing CHT 244. I'm guessing it was from that time my truck went crazy because my truck has never heated up before. The temp that day was 89. Also, I did not get any check engine light. My truck has been running fine since that time and I have been trying to get it to happen again but I am on level 2. The 2 times I tried level 3 the problems happened. I am totaly stumped as to why this happened. I really don't want to call Bill and take him away from what he is doing but I think thats my only option at this point to try to figure this out. Thanks to everyone that tried to help me out.
I think you're stuck with calling Bill too. Like, Grabber, I first thought faulty e-fans, but, they wouldn't fail just on Level 3. I DO think the symptoms sound a bit like failsafe mode though, but I wouldn't have expected it to activate at 244, AND, if your truck DOES go into failsafe mode, the PCM is supposed to drive your temperature gauge abruptly to MAX hot and you should have gotten a Check Engine Light. So, since that didn't happen, I'm left with more questions than answers.

- Jack