Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, February 9th, 2009, 11:37 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Default MAF sensor location

Jack,
From what I have seen in some of these installs and test drives. It is no different then the stock system except the restrictive intake tube is done away with and a different stock size filter is used. If I was following Bill's description of the "gotts" system correctly or in that system is the MAF sensor relocated also. Another thing that is note worthy is very little to no droning noise. 4.2 and 4.6 have something different in their stock intakes over the 5.4 looked like a restrictive cone shaped funnel insert. Found that in a 05 4.6 STX and forgot what year 4.2
-Lars

By the way Jack great job on the snorkle tube post!!!
Loved the pictures!
For $13?
That is kind of what I meant when I said sometimes our parts bins are empty. There are some of us at sometimes in our lives that the packaged product looks like the shure thing, but if we put our mind to it like you did we can take pride in a job well done.

Last edited by 88Racing; Tue, February 10th, 2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Reading another thread of Jacks
Old Fri, February 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Stuck in a snow drift

coggerwayne is on a distinguished road
K&N

I got the K&N - works OK - only loud when I stomp on the gas otherwise no drone louder than the MBRP mufflers.
Only complaint is the fit between the box and hood - seems to me designed to seal between the top of filter box and hood but it like its not tall enough.
Old Wed, February 18th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Whopper

austinrhea is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried the tru-flow system? I found them for around $130 and they look like they accomplish the same as thing the modified factory intake.
Old Wed, February 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Jack,
From what I have seen in some of these installs and test drives. It is no different then the stock system except the restrictive intake tube is done away with and a different stock size filter is used. If I was following Bill's description of the "gotts" system correctly or in that system is the MAF sensor relocated also. Another thing that is note worthy is very little to no droning noise. 4.2 and 4.6 have something different in their stock intakes over the 5.4 looked like a restrictive cone shaped funnel insert. Found that in a 05 4.6 STX and forgot what year 4.2
-Lars

By the way Jack great job on the snorkle tube post!!!
Loved the pictures!
For $13?
That is kind of what I meant when I said sometimes our parts bins are empty. There are some of us at sometimes in our lives that the packaged product looks like the shure thing, but if we put our mind to it like you did we can take pride in a job well done.
Actually, Lars, the real cost is on the order of $8.00 now. It was $6 and some change for the ABS tube and you can buy 3" hose clamps for 99 cents. So, since I didn't use the coupler in the final product, I don't count its cost.

The MAF sensor's environment is not altered in any way in my truck. It sits up above the filter box very near the throttle body and, as you can see, all the modifications took place about two feet from it. I know the filter housing design is completely different on pre-2004 trucks though, so the MAF sensor location might be different too.

I took my truck out for a bit of a spin today because I installed pressure monitoring transmitters on my valve stems. I wanted to see if they upset the tire balance. (They didn't). But, I stepped on the gas pretty hard a couple of times and there's no drone.

- Jack