Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, June 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM
DILLIGAF

jmocelts22 is on a distinguished road
Default Another Little issue

I posted the Rough idle post which does seem to be getting better as i have used the truck, but this past weekend i was down in Boston watching Manny get his *** kicked by the Sox and while driving through the city the truck started to shake while under power like it was missing and had very little power. I had it on level 2 tow which i usually leave it on. It only lasted for about a minute and it ran fine. Later on I was getting on the on ramp accelerating and it started missing again for a few seconds and then it went away and ran fine all the way back to Maine. I don't know if it was a spark issue, a gas issue, an edge issue or what but i was wondering if anyone has had this issue. It alsmost felt like a coil pack issue (I went trhough 4 on my old 2000 5.4) It seems like the edge has some quirky little characteristics that go along w/ it. My one fear of putting something like that on my truck was whether or not it was going to cause my truck problems.

Oh and my truck is an 08 5.4 w/ 18,000 miles, a gotts mod w/ AEM dryflow filter and a Magnaflow muffler. I have a company vehicle so it does not get used and abused everyday.
Old Mon, June 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Is the tune you were running canned or custom?

Did this just start out of the blue?

Could be a moisture issue, if you've been driving in a lot of rain and water has gotten into the plug boots.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, June 22nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
DILLIGAF

It is the canned level 2. It is still acting up a little. I usually notice it while driving slow but on the gas. It kind of stutters a little. @ WOT i don't usually notice it. The Edge has been on the truck for about a month and i just started to notice it.
Old Tue, June 22nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Since its an edge product try to call them and see if they have any thoughts.
If you don't get anywhere with them then try to call PHP.

JMHO

Old Tue, June 22nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Whopper

dnkrm is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue on occasion running the gryphon with an 89 custom tune on my 06 5.4. I had other issues in the past with the tune and Bill was able to fix most of them but this issue is still ongoing. I have not removed the tune lately to see if it does it stock but I probably should at some point.

thanks
Old Mon, July 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM
DILLIGAF

I just got back from another weekend in Boston and while in traffic in the city the truck started shaking like it was missing. It was constant while i was idling and a little as i was getting up to speed. Once @ cruising speed it runs fine. It just does not seem to run smooth unless you are up to speed or @ WOT.

I called Edge and they said i should call PHP because my symptoms usually are caused by more aggressive mods than i have. (Gotts w/ dry flo filter and a magnaflow muffler only). I tried calling a few times but have not got through. Does anyone have any suggestions?...
Old Mon, July 19th, 2010, 04:34 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Let's see here.
Basic maintenance tips.
Fuel filter.
Plugs+cops.
Throttle body cleaning.
MAF cleaning.
Fuel driver control module.

Keep on trying to call PHP.

Old Mon, July 19th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Whopper Junior

JB 06 KING RANCH is on a distinguished road

I seem to have that problem too but its not any giving time. It has a miss feel to it. It will come and then it goes away. Just this last time it happened was on open interstate, I was driving for about 10 miles of on and off the gas passing, when I stepped on the gas to pass is started to shutter or miss, it did it about a mile while I had my foot on the gas. It ened up being fine after that and no problem since, but I know it will happen again.

2006 King Ranch
PHP/Edge tuner, Level 2 (87 Perform)
Old Thu, July 22nd, 2010, 09:55 AM
DILLIGAF

Ya my first thought was that it was a spark issue but after i thought about it, doesn't level 2 and 3 require more fuel?...
If the fuel filter is clogged then it might not get the fuel it needs.

My other question about the maintenance tips is: do i have to have a dealership or mechanic check the plugs and coil packs?
How do i clean the MAF sensor and the throttle body?
And how do i know if the fuel driver control module is working properly or do i have a tech check this out?

Thanks for the input. I really would like to get this straightened out because i have it turned back to stock and man what a slug compared to even level 2.
Old Thu, July 22nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Since you have an 08 with less than 20,000 miles, I cannot believe it would be the MAF or throttle body. The fuel driver module is in front of your spare tire on a crossmember and you can see it if you lower the tire. Again, I would not suspect a problem there in an 08 unless you drive a lot on "salted" roads. If you do have a problem, it will have a "corroded" look and may appear to be distorted. If that is the case - replace it right now.

Again, a clogged fuel filter doesn't seem likely in 20K miles unless you fill up at stations where there's a lot of sediment in the gas.

Plugs & COPs? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Does the problem occur at all with the stock tune and, did the truck ever throw any codes? Possibly, there's a PCM flash update that would fix this and since you don't have custom tunes, it wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer about it.

I don''t see why Edge is referring you to PHP - they should only do that if you have a Gryphon.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer