Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Redbull Junkie

TA2Dsailor is on a distinguished road
Question 07 f150 4.6 mpg with gryphon

A guy in my squadron is considering purchasing a Gryphon and wants to know what kind of increase in mpg to expect with it. His truck is bone stock. Whats the average increase? Right now hes getting 19.8 highway. Thaaaanks
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

the better question would be, is he gone to be able to keep his foot out of the throttle after the new found power I havent been able too, so I am not to sure about the mileage question
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Redbull Junkie

I'm pretty sure he will be able to. He said he doesnt care about extra power just fuel economy. At least hes saying that now. We'll have to wait and see
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Bacon King

Sburn will become famous soon enoughSburn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA2Dsailor View Post
A guy in my squadron is considering purchasing a Gryphon and wants to know what kind of increase in mpg to expect with it. His truck is bone stock. Whats the average increase? Right now hes getting 19.8 highway. Thaaaanks
Same engine & year here. Reg. cab long bed. Gryphon with canned tunes. Maybe 1 MPG better, if he can keep his foot out of it. The worst I've seen, driving it like I stole it, stop-and-go city driving is around 15. The best, highway w/ cruise control set, is around 19.5

YMMV, as they say....

Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

TA2D, if he's getting 19.8mpg right now, that's amazing. Most customers come to us getting about 14mpg, and they usually see an increase of 1-3 mpg depending on driving style. Last summer when we were testing tunes for the 5.4L on our Expy, we got up to 21.4 on a trip from Atlanta to Orlando, but we've generally hovered between 19 and 20 (before this crappy winter blend fuel!). I doubt your buddy would see a gain in mpg.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Redbull Junkie

ok That 19.8 was pure highway on a trip. Not sure what his norm mpg is. He wants to see how big of a difference it makes in my truck before he decides. Thanks
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about

I thought you were saying he was only getting 4.6 mpg :omg:
then I realized the engine is 4.6L. Nevermind, Carryon.
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

A lot of it depends on what what gears you're running. 3.31 or 3.55 geared trucks fare better in the mileage arena and can often see better than 20 MPG with tuning. However, if all he's looking for is fuel economy and he's already at 19.5 MPG now, I doubt there would be a significant enough gain to offset the cost of getting a programmer.

There may be more gains if he does a lot of city driving or mixed driving. If he's got an average number for his day to day, we'll be able to better advise a solution.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, March 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Whopper Junior

bjp207 is on a distinguished road

my truck was getting between 12 and 15 with the stock tune...I ran one tank through on level one with the gryphon and I was beating on my truck, got 17.3...if I baby it it will see 18-19
2004 STX 4x4, 2.5''AS, AAL, 18x9 Eagle 178, 325 60R18 Nitto TG, Magnaflow SIDO Catback, 20% tint, XLT Power windows, locks, and mirrors, XLT cluster, FX4 steering wheel, PIE, Bushwacker's, XLT overhead console, Gryphon

Last edited by bjp207; Tue, March 10th, 2009 at 07:12 PM.