Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, January 27th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Lonestar Legend

LonestarROB is on a distinguished road

Yea, it's strange. Just don't get it. Mine is basically just the opposite of your experience. Less performance and worse mpg. With low funds, may just stick to what I have and try adding to it instead of starting over with new CAI etc.

Still researching on anything I can add to get better performance. If anybody has anymore recommendation, lemme hear em!

Want: CAI(aFe? ). efans. 4:10 gears. Throttle body spacer. New custom tune/s. Under drive pulleys.
Old Thu, January 27th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

There isn't really anything that is cheap. You have improved the air coming in. You could get a high flow cat to improve the exhaust going out but I'm not sure how well it will work. I've heard that Ford put a higher flow cat in the 4.6s for our trucks and that is how they boosted the paper horsepower from the trucks before.

The old saying still holds true even for trucks, gotta pay to play. Going fast isn't cheap.
Old Thu, January 27th, 2011, 11:23 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarROB View Post
Still researching on anything I can add to get better performance. If anybody has anymore recommendation, lemme hear em!
Blower.

That's the ONLY way you're going to get more power (noticeable increase). Naturally aspirated gasoline engines are what they are. They HAVE to run at a specific air fuel ratio. There is only so much fuel you can use for a given amount of air. Increase the air, you can increase the fuel. Once you increase the fuel, you get more power. Once you get more power, you get to spend more at the pump on fuel (both more of it AND more expensive higher octane fuel).

The cold hard truth is tough to swallow sometimes, but if you want more performance, you'll have to invest in a vehicle with a higher power to weight ratio. Plain and simple.
Old Thu, January 27th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road

Opinions are like , everyone has one and they all stink! I have absolutely no problem with my CAI by AFE. I love the whistle as my engine draws in power creating cold air. My exhaust tops it all off as I roar down the road. I don't doubt for a sec that the Gott's mod is great for the cost. I think there comes a point when you have to think for yourself and make the most of it. Everyone has GREAT advice but you are the one buying the products and driving the truck. Just like some guys are Ford fans others like the competition. Do whatever is going to make you happy. No offense to anyone, I only think personal choice is a big player in the game of mods. If you are going to pay for it, get what you want. Good luck! Anything that will provide more air will be good enough.
Old Fri, January 28th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampsterzone View Post
Opinions are like , everyone has one and they all stink! I have absolutely no problem with my CAI by AFE. I love the whistle as my engine draws in power creating cold air. My exhaust tops it all off as I roar down the road. I don't doubt for a sec that the Gott's mod is great for the cost. I think there comes a point when you have to think for yourself and make the most of it. Everyone has GREAT advice but you are the one buying the products and driving the truck. Just like some guys are Ford fans others like the competition. Do whatever is going to make you happy. No offense to anyone, I only think personal choice is a big player in the game of mods. If you are going to pay for it, get what you want. Good luck! Anything that will provide more air will be good enough.
Actually you are probably running a warm air intake. If it is drawing from the engine bay without a highly effective seal I can guarantee your IAT is at least 5-10 degrees warmer than stock. But you make a good point at the end.
Old Fri, January 28th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Whopper

Skip_1074 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Actually you are probably running a warm air intake. If it is drawing from the engine bay without a highly effective seal I can guarantee your IAT is at least 5-10 degrees warmer than stock. But you make a good point at the end.
It is funny that you mention the warmer air. While I admit that it is not independent testing, but Banks (link for air density and temp testing) has does a lot to show where a lot of CAI's fail in providing COLD AIR. After the reading I have done, I'm waiting for the Banks Ram Air and TorqueTubes for the 2009-2010 for my truck.
"Stupid Plastic Snorkle Delete" (a.k.a. Gotts Mod)
Line-X bed & Highway Products "Silverback" toolbox
Old Fri, January 28th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Bacon King

DarkShadowSTX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Actually you are probably running a warm air intake. If it is drawing from the engine bay without a highly effective seal I can guarantee your IAT is at least 5-10 degrees warmer than stock.
My K&N CAI was that way, IAT was at least 10 degrees warmer. It changed really frequently also. With the stock intake or Gotts mod it doesn't fluctuate much at all.
Old Fri, January 28th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_1074 View Post
It is funny that you mention the warmer air. While I admit that it is not independent testing, but Banks (link for air density and temp testing) has does a lot to show where a lot of CAI's fail in providing COLD AIR. After the reading I have done, I'm waiting for the Banks Ram Air and TorqueTubes for the 2009-2010 for my truck.
Yes but Banks also has a different design. The others are pretty much a filter on the end of a tube. I've never tried the little air dam some of them come with but if it makes even a weak seal with the hood it should help with the temps.

And I looked at their "research" and I can find holes that their marketing team made. But since they are not the only ones that fudge numbers and attempt to rewrite physics I dont rank them any higher than anyone else. Their intake does look a little bit cooler and should offer lower temps while driving.
Old Mon, February 7th, 2011, 03:49 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampsterzone View Post

Open yer eyes and research before you open post and insert foot into screen.....

It's yer truck
It's yer money
Especially when the washoobi causes you to hoof it......

So what damage was actually done to the motor when you were running it without custom tunes in your ignorant bliss.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, February 7th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Bacon King

DarkShadowSTX is on a distinguished road

^^