Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, April 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Ford F150 FX4

way2qk4u2c is on a distinguished road
Default Blue Smoke- Normal?

I just noticed while starting my truck this morning there was quite of bit blue smoke and after 5 sec it went to the nice white smoke from a normal cold exhaust start.

Truck is 2006 5.4L with 23k miles

I normally dont see the exhaust upon startup because i use my remote starter alot- so this is the first time ive seen the blue smoke but it might not have been the start of this- it could very well been doing this for a while (6 weeks)

Also i just changed my oil to amsoil full syn 5w-20
The oil level is just right below the top cross hair- i only put in 7 qts total.

Is this normal to have some blue smoke?

I knida know that blue smoke is from burning oil left in the cylinders which can be caused of bad piston rings or some type of oil leak into the cylinder wall?

Should i worry about this?

Also could this be a result of the Gryphon possibly being to rich from the MAF

I really dont think i have a engine problem or else it would be blue smoke even on WOT which i dont have that.

Its like upon startup its really rich burning oil but once the rpms die down from being cold the blue smoke goes away imediately .

Im going to try a few different things first before i bring it into FORD.

1. Im going to not start it by my remote starter for the next week (in the morning when its cold out)
2. Im going to see if for 3 days while on level 1 if it continues to do it.
3. The remaining other 3 days i will try it with stock programming and see if i get the same results.

Why am i having so many problems lately lol

im curious what Bll and everyone else thinks about this?
Old Sat, April 4th, 2009, 06:51 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I run the amsoil also. Started using it at 11k and at 2 changes later at 25k no blue smoke at startup and running canned tunes.

Keep an eye on the smoke.

Does it smell like oil?

Does it smell like a rich fuel smell?

Monitor it.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, April 4th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Ford F150 FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
I run the amsoil also. Started using it at 11k and at 2 changes later at 25k no blue smoke at startup and running canned tunes.

Keep an eye on the smoke.

Does it smell like oil?

Does it smell like a rich fuel smell?

Monitor it.

Lars
Well i noticed it today because i was parked in the garage and when i started it up the smoke came into the garage and hung around a bit - so i knew it was oil based smoke. It was definitely blue too and i was like you got to be kidding me. So i moved the truck to the driveway and turned it off- then i started it back up again and no blue smoke. Well i let it sit for about 2 hours and when i started it back up i got blue smoke again. So then i gave it some gas after it was running and no blue smoke. It smells like a rich oil smell lol so im not sure if its a rich gas smell or straight oil smell lol

Some people are suggesting leaky valve seals?

Now lets throw this into the mix- what if im a little over filled on oil? lets say what if im at 7.1 qts in the engine would it blow blue smoke on startup. I dont think im over full- but its pretty close to the top cross hair. This is just a idea lol

I think im within the 3 yr warranty and if not i have ESP but im wondering what this is only at 23k kinda makes me mad.

Ill definitely monitor it
Old Sat, April 4th, 2009, 10:39 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think 7.1 quarts is a big deal. To bad the modulars motors are designed the way they are and a compression test on them wasn't major brain surgery!
Could be a leaking valve seal and or a piston ring.

Lars

Old Sat, April 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I don't like the blue smoke on an engine that new at all. Running too rich, you'd get black smoke not blue. I had a truck once that did that at 100K, and I traded it in right away.

I can't see how a custom tune would cause oil blow-by at all. I'd restore it to level 0 and take it to Ford right away.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, April 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Ford F150 FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I don't like the blue smoke on an engine that new at all. Running too rich, you'd get black smoke not blue. I had a truck once that did that at 100K, and I traded it in right away.

I can't see how a custom tune would cause oil blow-by at all. I'd restore it to level 0 and take it to Ford right away.

- Jack
Yeah i forgot about running rich is more black smoke than blue. Good call. Blue is definitely burning oil so its definitely not good- ill be going to ford sometime this week.
Old Mon, April 6th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Ford F150 FX4

The last 2 cold starts - no blue smoke at all????? what the hell?
Old Mon, April 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c View Post
The last 2 cold starts - no blue smoke at all????? what the hell?
Something "sticking" that's no longer sticking? Or, maybe the engine IS sensitive to too much oil. (I'd always heard overfilling causes "foaming" though, which reduces lubrication).

I still think I'd get it checked out.

- Jack
Old Mon, April 6th, 2009, 11:52 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

I would be getting the problem looked at.

Like Jack said could be something sticking.

Lars

Old Thu, April 9th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road

Oil on start up is usually valve guides, or the umbrella seals. What happens is the engine will sit for some time and some oil will leak past the guides or the seals through the valves, and rest on the pistons. So when you start the engine the oil then burns off.