Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, March 14th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Aurora

Aurora is on a distinguished road
Default 07' 5.4 Rattle and Burp

Gents,

After backing up my trailer again this evening I got what has been a recurring issue. Every time I have to back up my trailer without fail the truck will start rattling and act like the engine is going to jump out of the hood. Turning the truck off and back on instantly fixes the issue but that's a poor excuse for a solution.

I've also began to notice that while in part throttle, mostly in low speeds, I can hear a faint, one second or less, burp from the exhaust as if for a second the fuel and/or ignition forgot what was going on for a moment. This is all while keeping a relatively constant throttle position.

I don't know if these are Gryphon related issues or if this is a ford related issue, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael
Old Thu, March 15th, 2012, 10:01 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Gents,

After backing up my trailer again this evening I got what has been a recurring issue. Every time I have to back up my trailer without fail the truck will start rattling and act like the engine is going to jump out of the hood. Turning the truck off and back on instantly fixes the issue but that's a poor excuse for a solution.

I've also began to notice that while in part throttle, mostly in low speeds, I can hear a faint, one second or less, burp from the exhaust as if for a second the fuel and/or ignition forgot what was going on for a moment. This is all while keeping a relatively constant throttle position.

I don't know if these are Gryphon related issues or if this is a ford related issue, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael
I cannot imagine how this could be tune related, but you could try returning the tune to stock and see if the problem(s) reoccur.

Backing a trailer is such a low speed, low power operation that it hardly seems possible for the tune to have any effect whatsoever. I wonder if you possibly have a dragging electric brake in the trailer wheel? I had that on my trailer (actually the brake mechanism broke) and pieces would "catch" in the wheel causing it to bind while backing. Moving the trailer forward and then resuming backing would free it. But, the permanent fix was a brake replacement, which I did.

Do you hear any noise in a trailer wheel when it is rotated by hand, forward and backwards, with the trailer jacked up?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, March 15th, 2012, 02:34 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Any codes?

Do you have access to a scanner that is capable of reading VCT pids?