Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, October 13th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Whopper Junior

the.goobchik is on a distinguished road
Default 5.4L running lean

I figured that I would come to the source for tuning for this one. I have a 2007 5.4L FX4 with a CAI and Catback. Everywhere you go you hear about these horror stories of 2004 and 2005 5.4L motors running super lean with these mods and a canned Edge tune.

Is this just a load, or does it actually happen. I haven't been able to find any evidence of 2006 and newer 5.4L running lean.

My major concern is hooking up the Gryphon to my truck with these mods and using their canned Edge tunes until my custom ones come in. Unless someone advises me other wise I am going to hook up the Gryphon and see what is what, until I get my custom tunes in that is.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Thu, October 13th, 2011, 01:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

A 2007 is not as problematic as the 04-05s. Go ahead and use the programmer, but we recommend using the Level 2 "Tow" tune when you do so. This tune is slightly richer, which will help mitigate any lean tendencies caused by your CAI. The Level 2 tune is actually a very good all around daily driver tune anyway. It's what I used before I got custom tunes.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, October 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

It's seems like a load of bull until one understands air fuel ratios.....

Anytime a slot style maf is moved from its OEM transfer location there is a chance of either running lean or rich.....it all depends how it reads the air in its new position....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, October 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Whopper Junior

the.goobchik is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice. I will use the tow tune for now. But wow I can't wait to get the custom tunes in and go full performance. Ohhh so exciting.
Old Fri, October 14th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Double Whopper

RevoErick is on a distinguished road

I had your similar worries also before my installing my Gryphon 1 week ago to date. Custom tunes on order of course. I have a 08 Screw 5.4l with CAI and Catback true duals. Canned tune #2 should be fine to start. Made a huge difference with the shift points of the transmisson and I can really feel the power gain throughout the gear now. The only issue I have is when I'm going through town with a speed limit of 35 -45 or just slower speeds in general. It almost feels like a carb vehicle would when loaded up with fuel. In short in bogs a second, burns loadedup fuel, then takes off. Don't get me wrong. Its not a problem so much as it is just annoying. Talked to Bill and he said no problem and that he had heard of a few doing that, if yours would at all that is. Hope this helped.
Old Fri, October 14th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Haulin' *** since '91

iHellFire is on a distinguished road

Alright so heres my dilemma.

I just installed my Stage 2 aFe CAI. I have custom tunes but they were set up for the GOTTS mod, I just put an order through today to get them re-tuned. After make a couple mile drive in the truck, I get back to the house turn it off, wait like 45 min and go to take another drive and I noticed my check engine light is on, used my Gryphon to check and says Bank 1 and 2 system too lean. I am freaking out now because I don't want to drive my truck with it saying that. My new tunes are on order but should I not drive my truck until I get them in? I was also wondering, what if these tunes don't help and then I have a too lean truck, I am out more money than ever expected?

I have a 2004 (new body style) 5.4 3v btw.
Old Fri, October 14th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHellFire View Post
Alright so heres my dilemma.

I just installed my Stage 2 aFe CAI. I have custom tunes but they were set up for the GOTTS mod, I just put an order through today to get them re-tuned. After make a couple mile drive in the truck, I get back to the house turn it off, wait like 45 min and go to take another drive and I noticed my check engine light is on, used my Gryphon to check and says Bank 1 and 2 system too lean. I am freaking out now because I don't want to drive my truck with it saying that. My new tunes are on order but should I not drive my truck until I get them in? I was also wondering, what if these tunes don't help and then I have a too lean truck, I am out more money than ever expected?

I have a 2004 (new body style) 5.4 3v btw.
I answered your other post but I'll also add on to this one. I put in bold a portion that gives you your answer whether you get retuned or not. The gains of the new intake and tune will be pretty much the same as the gotts and original tune. Power is not something that can be added numerically based on manufacturer's claims. Based on how you worded your post the codes came up very soon after adding the intake. That is a bad sign and indicates just how far off base your MAF sensor is reading.