Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, April 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM
Double Whopper

PerpetualSeanX is on a distinguished road

I see. Thanks for the write up, longshot. I guess what I'll do since the gears are going to have to be replaced anyways (they're whinning) is go down to 4.10 since I don't tow much and I do a lot of highway driving. That'll bring it to its original powerband.

Maybe it'll give me better results. I'm also going to have the spark plugs replaced since I doubt they've ever been done. I'm seeing a huge gain from doIng the fuel filter and cleaning the maf sensor. Also have the transmission serviced.

Thanks for the help.

Are the data logging for the monochrome the same for the gryphon cs?
Old Mon, April 23rd, 2012, 09:53 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Look online for a gear chart. There are tons of them floating around. You compare tire size with gear ratio and inside the matrix is RPM. I think there is also a gear ratio calculator here on either the PHP website or the PHP forum. I just went through the Pegasus program (for my programmer), which has a gear ratio calculator. Using 235/70-17 as your stock tire size and 315/75-17 (approx. 35" diameter), the 4.10 would bring you similar to the 3.55 stock ratio. 4.46 would be ideal to get you to a 3.73 ratio but the next closest gear option would be the 4.56.

The CS/CTS do not have the datalogging. I was thinking you had the MC gryphon for some reason.
Old Mon, April 23rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Look online for a gear chart. There are tons of them floating around. You compare tire size with gear ratio and inside the matrix is RPM. I think there is also a gear ratio calculator here on either the PHP website or the PHP forum. I just went through the Pegasus program (for my programmer), which has a gear ratio calculator. Using 235/70-17 as your stock tire size and 315/75-17 (approx. 35" diameter), the 4.10 would bring you similar to the 3.55 stock ratio. 4.46 would be ideal to get you to a 3.73 ratio but the next closest gear option would be the 4.56.

The CS/CTS do not have the datalogging. I was thinking you had the MC gryphon for some reason.
Lol, no big deal on the MC thing, I kinda figured there wasn't datalog, I've gone through all the menus pretty thoroughly.

Well, I guess I'm in the right area for gearing if thats the case with my 4.56's considering I had the 3.73's to begin with stock.

I just called a couple places to do my spark plugs (I really don't have the time to deal with broken spark plugs) and these dealerships around me are out of their damn minds. . .One quoted me 360 something plus 115 if they broke one or more plugs, the other was $600!!!(Didn't even ask about broken plugs)

I may end up having to find time if I want them done, not sure I can stomach paying that much for a spark plug change. . .

I just pored a can of Seafoam into my gas tank to clean up my jets a bit, add that to the list of things I've done to get this truck running as well as it can.
Old Mon, April 23rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
Forum Predator

Aren't you also a member on F150online? Just ask if you can borrow somebody's tool set. I'd also ask local auto parts stores to see if they'll rent them. I've seen some write-ups where they spent a bunch of time and got them out carefully. Spark plugs are relatively easy...can't say they are easy because I built a bike that just about beats all on ease.

Run techron or chemtool, they contain solvents like toluene and xylene that chemically break down carbon deposits more effectively. Seafoam does not, the only solvent it has is naptha (25-35%). The rest is pale oil for lubrication (40-60%) and 10-20% isopropyl alcohol to draw out water.
Old Mon, April 23rd, 2012, 11:27 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Aren't you also a member on F150online? Just ask if you can borrow somebody's tool set. I'd also ask local auto parts stores to see if they'll rent them. I've seen some write-ups where they spent a bunch of time and got them out carefully. Spark plugs are relatively easy...can't say they are easy because I built a bike that just about beats all on ease.

Run techron or chemtool, they contain solvents like toluene and xylene that chemically break down carbon deposits more effectively. Seafoam does not, the only solvent it has is naptha (25-35%). The rest is pale oil for lubrication (40-60%) and 10-20% isopropyl alcohol to draw out water.
Lol, bikes suck! No doubt. Guess I screwed the pouch. A buddy told me the seafoam stuff was good, I had heard it en passe occasionally as well, so I figured what the hell. I'll pick some of the techron or chemtool up tomorrow and run that next tank. Thanks for the protip, Longshot.

My best friend works at my local ford dealership. He's got a tech there that may be able to hook me up, so I'm holding off until I hear from him.
Old Mon, April 23rd, 2012, 11:39 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualSeanX View Post
Lol, bikes suck! No doubt. Guess I screwed the pouch. A buddy told me the seafoam stuff was good, I had heard it en passe occasionally as well, so I figured what the hell. I'll pick some of the techron or chemtool up tomorrow and run that next tank. Thanks for the protip, Longshot.

My best friend works at my local ford dealership. He's got a tech there that may be able to hook me up, so I'm holding off until I hear from him.
I've always liked bikes. This has been my latest project.

Gas mileage isn't even worth calculating because it uses so little. It'll be my grocery getter and bank fishing transport this summer. Might also be doing in town commuting after a regear. It has plenty of acceleration just not enough top end speed to keep up with traffic.

Ok, then I would definitely hold off until you hear from them.
Old Tue, April 24th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
I've always liked bikes. This has been my latest project.

Gas mileage isn't even worth calculating because it uses so little. It'll be my grocery getter and bank fishing transport this summer. Might also be doing in town commuting after a regear. It has plenty of acceleration just not enough top end speed to keep up with traffic.

Ok, then I would definitely hold off until you hear from them.
Now when I said I hate bikes I ment normal bikes. What you have there sir is awesome! Looks like a barrel of monkeys no doubt.
Old Wed, April 25th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

Spark plug change does make a difference. Go ahead and get the Granatelli COP Connectors upgrade while your at it. ($100)
They work awesome with tune.
Make sure you are running 93 and are programmed for it, HUGE difference over 87!

I have the lisle 65600 tool needed for the plugs. 4 of mine broke, really not a bad job as long as your rear one does not break.

Not sure what my 0-60mph is, only have distances on my time stamps from the tracks. I should be pretty close to the 8.5-9.0 second range with my mods I am guessing...

Also 4.56 gears WAY to high unless you tow all of the time. Just a lift and bigger tires, 4.10s. Also seems like your time stamp is pretty important. I know a lift and big tires look good, but if its speed you want, you will have to ditch 'em
Old Wed, April 25th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Double Whopper

Did a test this morning on my way to work and did 8.9 seconds. It was 71 degrees engine was still cool and transmission was only 105 degrees. Do you think the operating temps of my truck could cause a power loss for some reason?
Old Wed, April 25th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunboy2208 View Post
Spark plug change does make a difference. Go ahead and get the Granatelli COP Connectors upgrade while your at it. ($100)
They work awesome with tune.
Make sure you are running 93 and are programmed for it, HUGE difference over 87!

I have the lisle 65600 tool needed for the plugs. 4 of mine broke, really not a bad job as long as your rear one does not break.

Not sure what my 0-60mph is, only have distances on my time stamps from the tracks. I should be pretty close to the 8.5-9.0 second range with my mods I am guessing...

Also 4.56 gears WAY to high unless you tow all of the time. Just a lift and bigger tires, 4.10s. Also seems like your time stamp is pretty important. I know a lift and big tires look good, but if its speed you want, you will have to ditch 'em
I look into the connections you mentioned for sure. Could you give me some more information on it? What exactly makes it worth the extra $100? What does it do exactly?

My speed isn't important to me nor is the off the line speed contrary to what it may seem according to my posts. I'm using the 0-60 time as a baseline to measure the overall performance of my truck and how it compares to like build trucks. I merely want my truck to operate at its maximum capibility and it seems like its not. So I'm simply trying to figure it out. =)