Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Performance Modifications and Other Conversations

Performance Modifications and Other Conversations This is a place where we can have real, honest discussions about all things performance related.

Whether it's power adders, engine parts, configurations, injectors, tuning, or whatever else you can thing of, let's talk about it!

View Poll Results: What CAI are you running?
AFE 27 9.64%
Air Force One 10 3.57%
Airaid 19 6.79%
Banks 9 3.21%
K&N 73 26.07%
S&B 21 7.50%
Other 60 21.43%
Volant 22 7.86%
I don't have a CAI. 39 13.93%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sat, November 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
So do I.

The CAI doesn't actually increase airflow into the engine, but more to the point it removes the restriction.

Think of it this way... Try breathing through 3 feet of garden hose. Under most circumstances, you'd probably be able to breath just fine, but exert yourself a little bit and suddenly that little bitty hose isn't going to cut it. You simply can't get enough air to meet the increased demand.

The stock airbox on the F150 is more than adequate to meet most airflow demands of the vehicle. The only place it falls short is the tapered end of the snorkel that is routed into the fender. It tapers down to about 75% of the size of the rest of the airbox. At low to moderate speeds it's not an obstruction, but as you get up over 3500 RPM under heavy throttle it starts to become an issue.

Most folks have found that by simply removing this piece you can see a noticeable increase in performance in mid to high RPMs, and best of all... it's free! That's my kind of price.

Hope this helps.
I did this on the Expy but instead of leaving it open I had a rubber bellow from some boat stuff in the garage. I put over the end and the other end fit up against the inner fender. Not quiet as snug as I would like but enough for it to work well. I am pondering on putting a 6637 in there and making my own tubing though.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown