Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Tue, January 19th, 2010, 11:38 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Default Flippn' Dealers

To break the news to everyone that my garage queen hasn't been a garage queen for the past few days. It's now my Wife's new rental truck!

Long story short.
Last Thursday her vehicle fell dead on the interstate.
The vehicle had lights but the motor didn't crank.
Grabbed the scan tool and away I went.
Luckly some friends recognized her vehicle and picked her up and gave her a ride back to the house.
Found the problem to be the ICM.
Didn't want to risk damaging the tranny and pull it home.
I was going to use my car hauling trailer.
Problem.
The trailer was burried under 6ft of snow at the storage complex.
Called the wife and asked her if the warranty was up yet?
She said no so I said let the warranty guys handle this, call a tow truck I said back to her.
The flat bed truck came and picked up the vehicle.
They delivered it to where I work part time.
I proceeded to tell the tech what I had found which was the ICM. The tech confirmed this and ordered the part.
But the only place to get THAT part is the dealership, at least around here.
Now here's why I titled the thread what+why I did.
Come Monday the shop didn't get the part?
I called them up and asked if it was done yet. Nope! Was the tech's answer.
What's going on? I asked. The dealership lost the part, the tech told me.
Ya right!? They palmed it and put it on a vehicle they needed it for to fix it.
To make everything all better our parts manager called the dealership parts manager plus the owner of the dealership and our shop got one overnighted to them and we got the vehicle back tonight.
I'll have to ask the parts manager what he said to the dealership to get the part so quick?
But if anything I bet it had something to do with our vette parts stock.
The main thing though is the garage queen is back in her stall and my wife has got her ride back.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Wed, January 20th, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old Wed, January 20th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

How much are you charging her for the rental?

Does she have the option to go to a long term contract?

Fuel option? Damage waiver?

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Wed, January 20th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Wow, wouldn't it be nice if you could tow these trucks?
I'm not sure why (other than it has something to do with the torque converter and pressure) but it stinks that you cant because it also means you cant push start the like old manuals.
Old Wed, January 20th, 2010, 10:40 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
How much are you charging her for the rental?
Wish I could've charged her the prevailing government rate but I was nice and just charged her gas and a wash!
Does she have the option to go to a long term contract?
Nope no long term options but her vehicle is a GMC so maybe the long term one should've been discussed!
Fuel option?House rule "Its returned full" Damage waiver?Yep she knew about my policy "You break it, You bought it!" LOL's

Anwers are in red.

Old Wed, January 20th, 2010, 10:53 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
Wow, wouldn't it be nice if you could tow these trucks?
I'm not sure why (other than it has something to do with the torque converter and pressure) but it stinks that you cant because it also means you cant push start the like old manuals.
Her vehicle is a GMC Denali Envoy and it isn't AWD but it has an auto traction feature that interferes with conventional towing. They could've dropped the rear drive shaft but sometimes that's way to much work for tow truck drivers.
If the warranty was going to cover the tow which it did. Then it was the best option at that moment.

Note:
When you shut off the 4x4 trucks like mine. That it goes into 4x4 when off.
With the engine running the vacuum that's created helps to hold the axles back from engaging into the hubs when the truck is in 2wd.

Old Wed, January 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Just want to say that due to some freaky things with our power last night, the culprit was an ice storm. That I was in the middle of posting this thread and the power went out.
Somehow it got submitted, I found out this morning.
So that's why it disappeared for most of the day.

Old Fri, January 22nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing
Her vehicle is a GMC Denali Envoy and it isn't AWD but it has an auto traction feature that interferes with conventional towing. They could've dropped the rear drive shaft but sometimes that's way to much work for tow truck drivers.
If the warranty was going to cover the tow which it did. Then it was the best option at that moment.

Note:
When you shut off the 4x4 trucks like mine. That it goes into 4x4 when off.
With the engine running the vacuum that's created helps to hold the axles back from engaging into the hubs when the truck is in 2wd.
That makes sense, is there another reason like that for the only 2wd? The owner's manual says to not tow the automatic trannys with the back wheels on the ground. They say to only have the front wheels on the street and have the back suspended or on a trailer. I've never understood why but dont want to find out the hard way. I'm guessing the truck never really goes into neutral like a manual does?