Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Whopper Junior

redone1 is on a distinguished road
Question Help Please!

Hello Bill and Corey,

New to the forum here, but will be a proud user of PHP tunes very soon! I apologize for the long post in advance.

I sent my injectors out to Rosewood Diesel Shop last Saturday for either a stage 1 or stage 2 rebuild. Deciding which way to go is the exact help I hope to get from you. But first before my question(s), below is the specs on my truck and what I have done to it. The primairly use for this truck is to pull trailers.

My Truck is:
-1997 Ford F-350 PSD
-Single Rear Wheel
-4.10 rear end
-Automatic

My truck has:
-DIY 6637 air intake
-3" DP and 4" exhaust
-Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
-Gauges Tranny, EGT, Boost

Soon hopefully, but not on now:
-7.3 Intercooler
-Tranny Shift Kit

I plan on these settings on my near future PHP Chip:
Whisper - High Idle - Stock - Fuel Sipper - 60 Hp Tow - 140

Ok, so my question is this. Can I have RDS rebuild the injectors to stage 2's and control them to a stage 1 level with your PHP chip?

I'm thinking it would be more cost effective to jump to stage 2's and control it with the chip versus realizing stage 1's are too small down the road and have to rebuild again. If I go to stage 2's now with a "detuned" PHP chip, then once all of my supporting mods are in to utilize stage 2's we can just reburn the chip to run them. Is this correct? Jim Rose thought it's no problem, but wasn't positve since he hasn't heard of anyone doing this first hand.

I should also mention that i may never decide to utilize the full potential of stage 2 injectors. Since I'm having my nozzles replaced, the starting cost is the same for stage 1 or 2 rebuilt from RDS. I may be happy with the power of stage 1's and never want more power.

The main concerns/questions I have in doing this are (assuming you can program the chip to do what I'm asking):
1. Fuel ecomony. Will my economy suffer any from running stage 2's with stage 1 programming VERSUS stage 1 injectors with stage 1 programming?

2. Will stage 2 injectors be subject to a lower life expectancy if not used to thier full fuel-flowing potential by running stage 1 programming?

3. Is there anything else I'm completely forgetting here?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts as soon as you can provide them. I need to let Jim at RDS know what I want to do. He should have received the injectors today and planned to get right on the rebuild.

Again, sorry for the long post!

Thanks,

Pete