Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > The Starting Point > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Welcome to the Power Hungry Performance Forum. We're glad that you're here! Start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself!

PLEASE POST TECHNICAL and/or SUPPORT QUESTIONS in the APPROPRIATE SECTION of the FORUM

Closed Thread

Old Mon, November 23rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
Whopper

dmiertschin is on a distinguished road
Default hey i have lots of questions.

first of all i would like to start off with i have 2005 F150 Fx4 5.4L 3V with a 2.5 leveling kit and 295s on it and 70,000 miles. i currently have a S&B cold air intake and true dual exhaust that is straight piped. ok so to start with the quetions....i have a bully dog gas downloader with it set on the premium setting bc i run 93 octane gas with it and it does alright not a big difference in power but some. first question is that i tried to ajust the transmission on the programmer just to make the shifting more firm and it didnt work right it shifted a couple of gears when i first started but like the 3 gear it got stuck between 2 and 3 rpms and wouldnt shift for some reason idk????

the next thing is that im looking at selling my bully dog downloader and im thinking about getting the gryphon. iv read alot about it and all that stuff but im still not real familiar with alot of things. i no that if i get one i have to have some custom tunes for the intake and the exhaust but im not sure if that comes on the programmer when i buy it and fill out all the quetions that the forum ask me or not. another thing is i would like to no if i have to worry about messing anything up on my truck like my transmission or something bc its just a stock transmission??

i would also like to now about how much it would cost to get the gryphon with the tunes that i need and how much of a hp difference it would make in my truck bc now its 0-60 is prolly about 9.5 which aint that great and how much faster would it get with the gryphon??

and if somebody can tell me exactly what i would need to get that would be great thanks.
Old Tue, November 24th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Whopper

GlennD is on a distinguished road

I have the same truck and similar mods. The 04-05 pcm runs a little on the lean side, so with your mods, you're going to run a little leaner than stock. PHP can custom tune your pcm so it gives you more fuel, which will give you more power. I don't know if the bully adjusts your a/f mix, if it doesn't, that's probably why you aren't noticing more power. PHP can give you the right a/f mix to take advantage of your mods.
Old Tue, November 24th, 2009, 12:23 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum!
Go here:
http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...e_Vehicle.html
Also read faqs and testimonials.
GlennD also told you some good info!
Thanx GlennD!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, November 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Best mod for your tranny is this:
http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...P%20-%204R70VB
I am not to familiar with the bully dog programmer but when you adjusted the shift firmness something else may have adjusted with it that you could not adjust and didn't know about. Some programmers are like that out there.
Try it in stock without the programmer and see if it happens. If it still happens in stock then its something in the tranny but if it doesn't happen in stock then its the tune so change you settings back.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, November 25th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Whopper

well heres the thing the bully dog has 3 settings stock, regular, and premium. i have mine set on premium bc i use 93 octane gas with it. but along with those settings it has other things u can adjust like the shift firmess which has 2 settings "stock and firm" and it does that when i set it on firm.... otherwise if i leave everything else the same like on the setting premium and the transmission on stock everythings fine its just when i try to change the the shifting to firm is when it acts funny

but i really would like to know how much of a difference would a gryphon with the custom tunes i would need would make in my truck????
Old Wed, November 25th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Bacon King

XPerties is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiertschin View Post

but i really would like to know how much of a difference would a gryphon with the custom tunes i would need would make in my truck????
I'm going to take a stab at this because we have the exact same truck and mods. Now there isn't anyone who can give you a definite answer because every truck is different, even right off the assembly line.

Now based on Edge base model with stock tune it says "Gains of up to 35 HP and 50 Ft Torque" and I can guarantee that is 100% true, from my experience. Now since I sent my Edge in and had it upgraded to a Gryphon and had a custom tune for 91 octane wrote I noticed a bigger difference from the already huge improvement when running Edge's stock tune.

I know not having custom tunes for our truck and running CAI with other mods actually does more damage than good based on the lean issue our trucks have.

Having not used any other tuner this is only my views but a buddy of mine who has a diesel and way to much money and time on his hands have used all 3 major tuners and ultimately went back to Gryphon because, well, he said it was faster.

Hope that helps a little.

F150 05 5.4 XLT, Nitto 295/70/17, Dual Flowmaster, Gryphon w/ Custom Tunes
K&N CAI, HBS 2 1/2 Level Kit, Blackout Heads w/ 8K HID's, Tinted Tails & 3rd Light w/ LED's
Old Wed, November 25th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Whopper

yeah that helps thanks....so u had urs custom tuned for just the gas or for the intake and exhaust too??

and whenever im thinking about buying a gryphon i just fill out that form and put wat mods i have and it will will already custom tuned wen it comes in??
Old Wed, November 25th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Bacon King

XPerties is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiertschin View Post
yeah that helps thanks....so u had urs custom tuned for just the gas or for the intake and exhaust too??

and whenever im thinking about buying a gryphon i just fill out that form and put wat mods i have and it will will already custom tuned wen it comes in??
I had custom tunes written for my truck/mods and chose the octane I use most. They have 2 performance tunes you can choose. The order form gives you each step by step ordering directions. In each section just fill in your modifications and if you haven't modified certain items then you leave them blank or simple put "stock" in that field.

F150 05 5.4 XLT, Nitto 295/70/17, Dual Flowmaster, Gryphon w/ Custom Tunes
K&N CAI, HBS 2 1/2 Level Kit, Blackout Heads w/ 8K HID's, Tinted Tails & 3rd Light w/ LED's
Old Wed, November 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Whopper

alright then thanks..

about how fast is ur trucks 0-60 or how much hp have u gained with the gryphon with custom tunes if u know....just tryin to figure out about how much it would do for mine bc we have the same size tires and everything??
Old Wed, November 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Whopper

sorry but one more question. on the order form at the bottom i put i want the gryphon downloader with 2 custom calibrations right?? and then below that it has level 1 calibration "tranny only", level 2 calibration "tow", and level 3 calibration "performance" which ones would i change and what would i put them on??
Closed Thread