Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > The Starting Point > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Welcome to the Power Hungry Performance Forum. We're glad that you're here! Start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself!

PLEASE POST TECHNICAL and/or SUPPORT QUESTIONS in the APPROPRIATE SECTION of the FORUM

Closed Thread

Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Bacon King

mmandley is on a distinguished road
Default Hello Everyone Malo from Oregon

Hi everyone just ordered my Griffen Programmer looking forward to that.

New to forums

Info on my truck: 06 F150 4x4 S-Cab 5.4L
Options 3.55 axles 7500 payload option, trans cooler, heavy duty cooling system, tow package, and suspension kit.

Custom items so fare- tinted windows, window flares, bed cover, rhino liner, Flowmaster Exhaust custom duel pipes, molded mud flaps, 2.5inch leveling kit on front end, and JLT CAI kit.

Just bought a 2008 Moomba Mobius LSV Wake-boarding boat to make that truck work for a living and desided i better get a programmer for towing

Any advise you have or help would be great thanks for having me.

08 F350 Crew Cab Lariat Edition 4x4 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel
Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Defense & Security PM...

Project Pat is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome aboard...
Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 01:45 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum!

Nice list of customs!

Talk to Bill or Jack about what you need. I went with a 87 oct perf tune and a 87 oct tow tune. Perf tune for when I am not hooked up and for the econmy aspect of the price of 87 oct gas. The tow tune for the same reason and listed on the order form what weights I would be pulling. Left the third tune alone. Then make sure to list any mods if any have been done to the truck.

So that's all I know in a nutshell!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Bacon King

Yes sir i sent them a pretty detailed list of my boat and what weights and types of altitudes i would be pulling threw.

Also sent them the Vin and build sheet on my truck from the factory to make sure Bill had all the info he would need. I haven't installed the JLT kit as of yet. I was really disappointed when i got the JLT and it said i had to buy there programmer because i was already set on the Evo computer. I like the Dash mount and the ability to see my trans temp, MPG and such at the touch of a button.

I spoke to EVO and they sent me here to get the Griff and i love what i see so fare. I cant wait to get the new Griff and get it all installed.

I did ask for the 87 Performance tune
Corey recommended i get the 87 Tow Tune and i Oked that also.

Only thing im trying to figure out is when i get the Griff do i install it then run the truck. Then go back and install my JLT CAI or do i install it all at once and then run the truck?

I been searching the forums to see if anyone has a JLT kit to see what they have asked and found out.

Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum, those moomba boats are nice
Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Bacon King

Thanks im real excited to get it in the water and start breaking in the 5.7L it has in it.

I got to water test one in Jan even though it was cold out it was a blast and i was sold on the boat after that. I just picked it up from the dealer Saturday and brought home and wedged it into my garage.

Had to relocate the washer and dryer to make it fit lol. Got it all done and its looking real nice in the garage. I was surprised how small it makes my truck look when its hooked up, i never seen anything except the F350 type trucks make mine look small LOL.

Hope to gets some pics posted soon on Facebook with the truck and boat.

send me a PM if you want to hook up with my Facebook page

Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Okay info on the jlt cai.

Don't put it on until you get the "custom" tunes if they told you that a programmer should be used with it. JLT/Edge is probably worried about the cai and edge making a lean fuel mix when put together. The same goes for the gryphon before custom tunes arrive.

When you first get the gryphon its set up just like the edge with 3 tunes
1. Tranny
2. Tow
3. 93 perf

When you get it follow the instructions and get your hex code in asap!
The hex code is what Bill needs to start building the tunes. Then if all goes well in about 5-6 weeks you will get the custom tunes.(Don't quote me on the wait time). Let Bill tell you the wait time. Just be patient, PHP is only Bill and Corey! And they are GREAT!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Bacon King

Awesome thanks for the info. Am I correct to assume when I install the gryphon I will still see a notable differance in performance while I wait for my custom tunes? I can hook it up drive and tow like normal or will I need to disconect the gryphon untill I get the new tunes?

Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Boy, am I ever late jumping in here. However, I think 88racing has covered it all beautifully! Good on you!

Welcome to the forum, mmandley!

By all means, plug the Gryphon in and try it out when you get it. The canned "tow" tune is actually a pretty good all around tune to start with, although some folks just try the Level 1 tranny tune. If you use 91+ octane gas though, program your truck with the Level 3 tune.

I think you're going to see a notable difference - I did.

I'm guessing the boat is not TOO heavy? Maybe less than 2500#? If so, any tune will work fine. But, Bill will write you a custom towing tune for it that is much better than the canned tune. The canned one is set for loads in the 5000# range.

That was good advice on the CAI. Don't install it till you get a tune written for it.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Bacon King

Hi there JackandJanet

I run regular 87 Gas in the truck most of the time. I was just wondering i have tons of questions all the time lol. I really want to tank everyone so fare for answering the questions and helping ease my mind. I have only done 1 power chip and that was in my 92 Firebird back in 96 and it was the old take this chip out of the PCM and plug this chip into the PCM.

As fare as my boat it weighs with trailer empty apx 4700lbs.

The boat is 3500 and the trailer is 1200 apx. I was pklanning on pulling this type of boat back when i got the truck and bought it with all the heavy duty options i could. I almost regret not gettign the F250 version but at the time my budget didnt afford it. This truck its self was close to 40K sticker.

You mention the canned tow tune and then theres the 91 performance tune canned of course and i understond those.

You mentioned a Trans tune. I saw those on the site but wasnt sure what that is? Is that the one that changes line pressure and shift points and makes the shifting more precise so the trans slips less? I was thinking thats what the Tow tune is all about?

Also i will install the gryphon and drive it with jsut it installed till i get the custom tunes im realy excited and looking forward to the improved performance. I know the 5.4L has a lot to offer just have to unleash it. I jsut have to wait till the Mad Doctor gets my custom tune ready and then i can get the JLT installed.

Closed Thread