Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > The Starting Point > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Welcome to the Power Hungry Performance Forum. We're glad that you're here! Start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself!

PLEASE POST TECHNICAL and/or SUPPORT QUESTIONS in the APPROPRIATE SECTION of the FORUM

Closed Thread

Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

OK, now I have more information.

The canned tow tune is probably pretty good for your needs. I'm sure Bill can "tweak" it into a custom tune, but you should talk to him about it. Possibly, due to your gears, there may be some changes that will help. That's a pretty big load you'll have back there.

More beneficial than a suspension kit, in my humble opinion, would be a good, load distributing, anti-sway trailer hitch. Mine is an "Equal-I-Zer" hitch: http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ Anybody have different thoughts?

I'd definitely use the canned tow tune to tow, and I found it to be a pretty good all-around tune too, before I got my custom tow and non-tow tunes. It does more than just firm up the shifts. It changes the fueling strategy and puts more "oomph" in the low end.

DO NOT use the 91+ tune when towing! That's too much weight for a performance tune. But, if you wanted to use high test gas, Bill could write you a 91+ octane tow tune.

The Level 1 tune is something you could use when not towing. It firms up the shifts, and possibly changes the shift points, but it doesn't do much else. I'd have it replaced with a good custom 87 octane performance tune.

I think, with the load you will be pulling, you'll appreciate being able to monitor the transmission fluid temperature and the cylinder head temperature. Even with the cooler, I think you'll be surprised at how quickly the TFT can rise when climbing a hill.

- Jack
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Bacon King

mmandley is on a distinguished road

Yea ive seen and herd about the Equl I Zer stuff and i even talked to Moomba about it before i got the boat and they ashured me it wouldnt need any of that. With the type of trailer i upgraded to and the low center of gravity the boat has since most of the weight is right over the trailer tandem axles it will be real steady.

The only thing they really asked when i was buying the boat is the type of truck i have and what towing gear i had for it already. Since the 06 is already rated at 10K+ towing and i did get the improved suspension on the truck it should be good. i pulled the boat home last Saturday and it was realy stable on the interstate and i took it up some steep hills in the area jsut to get the feel for it. The truck pulled great lots of power and the stability was fine. It was even raining and windy too.

I was quite impressed with the boat and truck as a combo. I just kow with a load liek that i realy do want all the guages and reading i can get for my truck. I dont want to be one of those people you see going up a mountain road with the hood up lights flashing and a pissed off woman in the passenger seat lol.

I did request to get a Custom Tow tune for 87 and a Performance tune for 87. I think it will all work out great. Plus i was reaidng some other areas and saw an electric cooling fan set up i want to get now too so i can free up some ponnies on the front of the engine. Not sure if i want to go with underdrive pullies yet or not. Been thinking about the headers but not realy sold on that yet eighter. Also im pretty sure if i got headers id have to get new tunes.

08 F350 Crew Cab Lariat Edition 4x4 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel
Closed Thread