Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > The Starting Point > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Welcome to the Power Hungry Performance Forum. We're glad that you're here! Start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself!

PLEASE POST TECHNICAL and/or SUPPORT QUESTIONS in the APPROPRIATE SECTION of the FORUM

Closed Thread

Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 01:29 PM
American Muscle

dplummer87 is on a distinguished road
Default New from Texas

Hi, i bought an edge programmer the other day and this site came highly recommended from the guys over at f150forum.com so figured i would sign up as i am interested in getting some custom tunes this summer...No idea where to start going about that, so any help would be great!

Anyway,

2008 F150 SuperCrew FX4
Volant CAI Volant Ram Air Scoop
2.5" Auto Springs Level Kit
Stock besides that

Future mods...
Exhaust...Custom Tunes.
Probably Indash Navigation/DVD

About Me
Born and raised in El Paso TX
Business Logistics and Supply major at NMSU.
Played a few years of college baseball before having surgery on my back...
Still ride dirtbikes and atvs...(not as aggressivly as i used to)
thats about it!
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
American Muscle

Fill out the Upgrade Form. It is an Adobe file and can be filled out online and saved for your records. When completed, print the form and sign it.
Program your truck back to stock.
Send the form and your programmer AND OBDII cable to us. If your programmer is for a truck from 2004 or later, we DO NOT need the cable. Our address is on the Order form.
Quote:
When it arrives, we will change the case from the gray/black one to an all black one (Edge had them made for us by the same company that makes theirs). We will also update the firmware at this time. Please be aware that some of the features exclusive to the Gryphon cannot be used on older Evos. Also, if you have a programmer with version number E3.XX.XX or E4.XX.XX, we cannot adjust the menu.
The Upgrade, itself, is $25.00; shipping is usually around $10-$15, depending on where you live.
You will need to download Pegasus, our Client Server, which can be found on our website. (It is similar to Edge's Lightning and Fusion.)
All Gryphons can hold up to three files with the exception of the 6.0L, which can hold four.
Calibration prices are as follows:
Custom gasoline calibrations are $60 each.
Standard diesel calibrations for trucks with mild modifications (Oversized Intercoolers, Exhaust Brakes, Downpipes, Full Return Fuel System Mods, Turbo Housing Mods (for stock turbos), and Cold Air Intake Kits) are $30 each.
Customized standard diesel calibrations for trucks with heavy modifications (Injectors, Big Oil (dual HPOP), Large Single or Twin Turbos, Power Adders such as Nitrous, Propane, & Water/Meth Injection, and Modified Transmissions) are $60 each.
As long as we can access your HEX code, we'll write your new calibrations and load them onto your Upgraded Programmer before shipping it back to you. This usually takes 1-2 weeks.
Ok, so thats what i found...

The reason i am considering getting custom tunes is because of the CAI, Ram Air Scoop, and Exhaust.

My question is, even with the edge on level 3, my truck runs a 9...It is extremely slow off the start! Will custom tunes fix this?
Will custom tunes help out with MPGs?

I usually run 87 octane, on occasion i fill up 91, so i would want an 87 performance, an 87 MPG, and a 91 Perfo...are those options?

Anybody in here go from an edge to a "gryphon" with custom tunes? Send me an email with your honest oppinon if you could! Thanks!
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum.

With your edge and cai right now you should only be running level 2 canned tow tune. With the cai your running lean on level 3 91+ perf.

Both the edge and gryphon are identicle the only difference is the gryphon gets custom tunes built for it.

I have ordered
87 perf
87 tow perf
Max economy for both

But those are my choices. Read some threads and do some research. Just remember custom tunes are tailored for you and your truck. They also incorperate your mods.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Bacon King

cj3511 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the form.

Jim

2002 5.4 SCREW XLT/FX4 Gryphon canned
MAC CAI Spin-Tech Cat back X-Pipe Dual In/Out Side Exit
Drawtite front hitch
Randy Ellis Light Bar w8" KC Driving Lights
265/75/16 Yokahama Geolander A/T-S
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

to the forum! 88racing's got it right. With your CAI, you shouldn't be running Level 3. Since it's a tow tune, Level 2 tends to run richer, which will compensate -- at least temporarily -- for the lean condition caused by your CAI + Programmer.

Feel free to ask lots of questions!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 04:10 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Welcome to the forum, dplummer87!

To answer the question about upgrading from Edge to Gryphon, I did that and couldn't be happier.

As I've said in other posts, my best mpg used to be in the 60 mph range and was 15.5. Now, when I'm not towing, I get 15.5 at 70-75 mph. My towing mpgs improved about 0.7 mpg when I got the custom tow tune, at the 65 mph that I run when pulling my trailer.

You can probably get by with just 2 tunes - 87 perf and 91 perf. Most people say the performance/economy tunes are pretty much the same thing. I have 2 tunes: one for towing and one for not towing.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

Afrancis is on a distinguished road

Welcome
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road

Yo DP glad you found your way over here...great group of people and it is growing every day.
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum
Old Thu, April 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
American Muscle

Thanks guys! All your comments and suggestions are really appreciated...Sinking money into my truck with a little peace of mind is nice...Im sure PHP likes all your comments too...means they get some of my money this summer