Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Rev-X Oil Additive

Rev-X Oil Additive You can find information or ask questions about Rev-X Oil Additive here!

Old Tue, June 14th, 2011, 11:23 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The nice thing about this dyno is that we can "script" a simulated environment and drive hundreds of simulated miles. The only thing we can't really account for is headwind, but grades are no problem at all.

It's our plan to eventually get a good script together and start doing some really in-depth mileage testing, just so we can quantitatively show the benefits of tuning. Combined with datalogging, it will be very useful.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, June 14th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
The nice thing about this dyno is that we can "script" a simulated environment and drive hundreds of simulated miles. The only thing we can't really account for is headwind, but grades are no problem at all.

It's our plan to eventually get a good script together and start doing some really in-depth mileage testing, just so we can quantitatively show the benefits of tuning. Combined with datalogging, it will be very useful.
Couldn't you simulate a headwind by increasing pulling load? Since you can get it at a standard cruising speed that can be "scripted" in at a standard rate of parasitic loss, similar to a grade. IIRC wind resistance increases exponentially by speed, so that makes it a calculable value. Find the surface area up front, adjust for the aerodynamics (since it is not completely a flat faced cube, like the height of the windshield for example) then use the formula they use for properly gauging wind strength resistance on sky scrapers, reduce that by the ratio of frontal surface height (number you got earlier) and wheel base length for angular leverage (since the truck is longer than it is tall) to make it seem like more weight on the axle. It makes perfect sense and you could probably do the math in your head.

...yeah, I kinda made that up for the sake of humor. Don't hurt yourself on it.

That is really cool though, you'll come up with something.
Old Tue, June 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

About the only advantage to knowing the effect on economy due to wind, would be to adjust the fueling/timing to maximize efficiency. But, you'd really be playing with the same set of parameters as you would for anything else that creates load on the drivetrain, such as a hill, increased rolling resistance and the like. So, there's no real reason to try to simulate a wind, when it's really engine load vs fuel used that you want to improve.

And, as long as you're operating in closed loop, you'd probably have to "bias" the O2 sensor values somehow to allow much of a change, which I imagine could be done.

Bill's already said he can set the A/F ratio leaner than stoich if the load is low and it's set richer than stoich when the load is high, so using a dyno just probably allows him to refine a "theoretically derived" tune for a particular vehicle. I imagine it's time for all of us to truck on over to Georgia for a dyno tune!

- Jack
Old Tue, June 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
About the only advantage to knowing the effect on economy due to wind, would be to adjust the fueling/timing to maximize efficiency. But, you'd really be playing with the same set of parameters as you would for anything else that creates load on the drivetrain, such as a hill, increased rolling resistance and the like. So, there's no real reason to try to simulate a wind, when it's really engine load vs fuel used that you want to improve.

And, as long as you're operating in closed loop, you'd probably have to "bias" the O2 sensor values somehow to allow much of a change, which I imagine could be done.

Bill's already said he can set the A/F ratio leaner than stoich if the load is low and it's set richer than stoich when the load is high, so using a dyno just probably allows him to refine a "theoretically derived" tune for a particular vehicle. I imagine it's time for all of us to truck on over to Georgia for a dyno tune!

- Jack

- Jack
Good point, Jack, and Jack.
Old Tue, June 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Smartass! I hate it when I do that. (So I fixed it in my post.)

- Jack
Old Thu, June 16th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

I have been reading on this stuff.
I heard it works awesome in diesels.

As far as gas goes, meh.

It also has the same chemicals that made up ZMAX, which was known to kill a couple vehicles.

I really would love to test this, as you proved the dyno gains... If I had a diesel I definitely would, and their gas product really works(again too bad it's only for diesels).

If anyone can do some solid testing in a gas truck, please let me know the results, I really want to try this stuff!
Old Thu, June 16th, 2011, 09:55 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunboy2208 View Post
I have been reading on this stuff.
I heard it works awesome in diesels.

As far as gas goes, meh.

It also has the same chemicals that made up ZMAX, which was known to kill a couple vehicles.

I really would love to test this, as you proved the dyno gains... If I had a diesel I definitely would, and their gas product really works(again too bad it's only for diesels).

If anyone can do some solid testing in a gas truck, please let me know the results, I really want to try this stuff!
Somehow, I doubt the stuff "killed" any vehicles. I suspect the owners did that themselves. (I keep saying our trucks are NOT "funny cars"! They were not built to take the punishment that a door slammer gets.) But, I think some people want to put them in that arena.

But I agree, I'd like to see some testing from someone who has no "cards in the game", like Bill. If a product can improve the Torque and HP over the entire curve, it's also going to improve efficiency, which is what I'm interested in.

Trouble is, Rev-X is damned expensive! Do you get a "payback"?

- Jack
Old Thu, June 16th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post

Trouble is, Rev-X is damned expensive! Do you get a "payback"?

- Jack
For diesels, and especially 6.0s with a 'sticky' injector, oh yeah. For the price of injector replacement, and the track record for Rev-X in curing a slight misfire, it's a chance I'd be willing to make. Part of the reason Rev-X, as an oil additive, works so good in diesels(namely 6.0, but also 7.3) is because they are a HEUI(Hydraulically-actuated Electronically-controlled Unit Injection) style of injection system. Each injector has a fuel side and an oil side, and the oil side uses engine oil. Through the life of a pickup, extended oil changes, cheap filters, cheap oil, or just a bunch of miles, the oil side can start to cause some issues. Unlike most oil additives and 'snake-oils,' Rev-X just seems to work in curing stiction or sticky HEUI injectors.

For gassers, not so sure. I think it would take very tightly kept variables, everything the same except Rev-X, and a scripted dyno runs to check anything there. For myself, I have a hard time thinking there'd be a payback for gas engines, or just about anything but HEUI engines.
Old Mon, June 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting....keep us posted on the gassser results.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, October 7th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Whopper Junior

2008F450 is on a distinguished road

Any testing with the 6.4? I typically run Lucas oil stabilizer every oil change. I'm always looking for better fuel economy though.