Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, December 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Supercrew View Post
yep, clear as mud lol. my understanding is that you could run the highest octane in you area on the 93 canned tune..which happens to be 91 in my area. basically, no octane less than 91 on the 93 tune....but that's another rant i will burn the remaining 91 out of my tank and go back to 87 on the 87 perf tune again.
Ah - I think you COULD be asking for a bit of trouble using 91 octane gas in a truck tuned for 93. The timing will be overadvanced, and you should probably retard it a bit or set the tune back to 87. I wouldn't worry too much though, just don't "hammer" the truck and I imagine all will be well.

But, in the future, I'd try to match the octane you put in with the tune you are using. Don't fill with an octane below the tune rating.

Ford even talks about this in the owners manual. They say not to use 86 or 85 octane (in areas where it's available) since the engine is "stock" designed for 87. If 87 is not available, they say to use 89 octane. (Use gas with an octane rating that is equal or higher than the octane the engine is tuned for).

- Jack
Old Mon, December 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
working for parts.....

Northern Supercrew is on a distinguished road

agreed...the 87 perf tune seems stronger than the 93 canned anyway. i used to run 91 in my old Hypertech PP3 on the 93 canned tune. and 92 when available. but i digress....you guys know alot more than me....but i'm learning
Old Mon, December 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Supercrew View Post
agreed...the 87 perf tune seems stronger than the 93 canned anyway. i used to run 91 in my old Hypertech PP3 on the 93 canned tune. and 92 when available. but i digress....you guys know alot more than me....but i'm learning
We're ALL learning! When you stop learning, you're ready to be "planted" (as in six feet under). (Dang, Corey! You even found a Guinness smiley)!

- Jack
Old Tue, December 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Whopper Junior

Riceball1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I think we're on the same page now, but he was asking about using 93 octane gas with an 87 octane tune.

Quote: "I was wondering if you can just change the octane setting to run 93 octane on the 87 performance tune."

I said yes, and he could probably bump the timing to gain a bit of power to offset the increased cost of fuel, but it would not be as good as a true custom tune.

You said, Quote: "The answer is that TECHNICALLY you can run 93 octane with an 87 calibration. However, you run the risk of detonation even with retarding the timing."

And here, I think is where we crossed ideas. But, I now believe you were thinking he should not put 87 octane gas into a vehicle that is tuned to run 93 octane (and that's why you mentioned "retarding the timing").

But, I understood you were saying not to put 93 octane gas into an 87 octane tuned vehicle, or damage could result. And, I was puzzled by your comment on retarding the timing. Also, I'm pretty sure Northern SuperCrew thought he should either replace his fuel tank contents with 87 octane (OK, but wasteful) or raise his tune to 93 - which would be bad, since he'd be burning 91 octane in a 93 octane tuned truck.

So, all is well, now that we are communicating again. Riceball and Northern SuperCrew are you with us now? It's OK, just not particularly efficient, to burn a higher octane gas in a vehicle tuned for 87. And, if you do it, you can advance the timing a bit. (The Edge/Gryphon manual even gives you guidelines here as I remember).

- Jack
All is good

I was just wondering if it was possible to change the timing on a custom tune. Many times when I go to Wisconsin you will find Mid Grade 91 or even 93 octane cheaper than 87. Maybe they just don't move it as fast as Reg.
Thanks for the help.

How many posts do you need to be a WHOPPER?

Bob
Old Tue, December 23rd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Need More Power!!

slammedsplash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceball1 View Post

Bob

You can change it yourself to whatever you want in your User CP!
Old Tue, December 23rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Whopper Junior

Riceball1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks--------------Now I have to think of something
Old Tue, December 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
All is good

I was just wondering if it was possible to change the timing on a custom tune. Many times when I go to Wisconsin you will find Mid Grade 91 or even 93 octane cheaper than 87. Maybe they just don't move it as fast as Reg.
Thanks for the help.

Bob
Hi again Bob -

You CAN change the timing on ANY tune (other than level 0). BEFORE you do this though, when you enter the "custom options" menu, go to "Load Previous Settings" first so that you reload your correct tire size and any other custom things you set. Otherwise, you'll just have default values in those places.

My Gryphon manual (really just an Edge manual), but Corey's updating it, says a rule of thumb is to increase timing by 0.5 for each octane count you go up. So, if you were tuned for 87 and had a full tank of 91 on board, you should be able to increase the timing by 2 degrees. What you'll probably have though is a mixture, so, if say you put a half a tank of 91 in and mixed it with 87, you'd really be running closer to 89 and should increase timing only 1 degree.

Use good judgment and you should be fine. Don't forget to reduce the timing when you start filling with 87 again, and don't forget to "Load Previous Settings" each time.

Sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing. I taught in the University here for 20 years and it sort of "sticks".

Somewhere in the f150 forums, I read that you could also increase timing for altitude. We're at 2500 feet here in Tucson and I tried increasing my timing by the smallest possible amount. I got a "wandering" idle and promptly set it back.

- Jack
Old Tue, December 23rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
All is good

Thanks for the help.

Bob
Haven't you read about all the cool things you can do here? Well, let me help you out -- just click on:

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019