Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Royale with cheese

bonzo333 is on a distinguished road
Default Metric beta?

I am interested in trying out the metric beta. How would i go about doing this?
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo333 View Post
I am interested in trying out the metric beta. How would i go about doing this?
Hello, bonzo, welcome to the forum. I'm pretty sure all you have to do is download and install the latest firmware and version updates to your unit through Pegasus. BUT: doing so will overwrite any custom tunes you have and may even cause difficulty if you have ordered and are waiting for custom tunes. If all you have are the canned tunes, there should not be any problems. Make sure you reset your truck to Level 0 before you take the Gryphon out of it though!

If you have got custom tunes or have ordered them, talk to Bill before you do anything. He can rewrite your files so they can be reinstalled on the unit after you do the update or can write any files you have ordered to coexist with the updates.

And, PHP is going to be "closed" to requests like this until Jan 2 so that Bill can finish writing all the tunes that have been ordered.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Royale with cheese

I already screwed up. I upgraded the firmware about a month ago. Haven't noticed any metric option, have to look a little closer. And I already had custom tunes installed so I guess those got erased,right? I have sent Bill an email but I guess I wont get a response for a while.Quick question, I have been running setting 3 for a month, which on custom tunes would be an 89 performance setting and on canned tunes would be a 91 performance, have I done any damage? and I guess I should set it back to setting 2 ASAP right?
BTW I've been reading your posts on f150online for months. Thanks for the input.
-Kevin
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Kevin,

Shoot Bill a PM on here. If you saw the number of e-mails he gets per day , you'd understand why he's ALWAYS behind on them.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Royale with cheese

Thanks Corey, will do. And once again, INCREDIBLE service!
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
I already screwed up. I upgraded the firmware about a month ago. Haven't noticed any metric option, have to look a little closer. And I already had custom tunes installed so I guess those got erased,right? I have sent Bill an email but I guess I wont get a response for a while.Quick question, I have been running setting 3 for a month, which on custom tunes would be an 89 performance setting and on canned tunes would be a 91 performance, have I done any damage? and I guess I should set it back to setting 2 ASAP right?
BTW I've been reading your posts on f150online for months. Thanks for the input.
-Kevin
Hi Kevin - It's a "learning curve" for all of us! If you see tune titles like "Lvl 1 - Trans Only", "Lvl 2 - Towing" and "Lvl 3 - Performance", (And I'm sort of writing these from memory), then I think you're back to canned tunes, because Bill tends to give you "unique" names for your custom tunes. (And I think he likes to use the word "custom" in them).

If you have the metric option, it will be one of the display options in the Setup menu. If your average and instant fuel usage isn't called "MPG", but instead is called "Economy", then you CAN display things in metric units.

Now, if you are using 89 octane fuel and the engine is tuned to 91 (a canned tune), then I think it would be a good idea to switch back to an 87 octane tune. But, unless you tend to be a leadfoot, and squeal the tires at each takeoff, I doubt you've done any damage. The engine will probably be experiencing a bit of detonation, but I think the PCM tries to limit that and a small amount (which usually occurs under load) isn't really that harmful. Your spark could be overadvanced by about 1 point, so you could also try retarding the advance by 1 point and leave it at 91.

I DO tend to post a lot, don't I? :o

- Jack
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Double Whopper

RGSMDNR is on a distinguished road

I wouldnt mind getting in on this metric beta as well...
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Royale with cheese

Hi Jack
I have a 2000 f150 and Bill said he can't change the names so it still says Level 1-Trans Only ...etc. I checked on the setup and it still says mpg (which I prefer, I would only like the speedo in km/h not sure if thats possible but I'm getting off topic). I dont know how to check if my custom tunes are gone or not. The truck has been sluggish for the last month but I contributed that to the cold snap we've been experiencing and to the fact I've been using 4 wheel to get thru the 24" of snow we had (we had the whitest Christmas on record!). I've pm'd Bill and waiting on a response, I hate to bother him when he's trying to get caught up!
Thanks again for all the input Jack
Kevin
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 01:35 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Hi Jack
I have a 2000 f150 and Bill said he can't change the names so it still says Level 1-Trans Only ...etc. I checked on the setup and it still says mpg (which I prefer, I would only like the speedo in km/h not sure if thats possible but I'm getting off topic). I dont know how to check if my custom tunes are gone or not. The truck has been sluggish for the last month but I contributed that to the cold snap we've been experiencing and to the fact I've been using 4 wheel to get thru the 24" of snow we had (we had the whitest Christmas on record!). I've pm'd Bill and waiting on a response, I hate to bother him when he's trying to get caught up!
Thanks again for all the input Jack
Kevin
Ugh - I was thinking you had a 2004+ model. Bill may not have (and may not be able) to change the display on Gryphons for pre-2004 trucks to metric values. I DO know these units are somewhat more limited in what they can display (due to vehicle limitations, I believe, not limitations in the Gryphons themselves). Regardless, as I understand it, the display is "all or nothing". If you choose metric, you get metric values everywhere. I base my opinion on the fact that metric is a separate menu item, rather than an option for each individual value displayed.

I'm 99.9% certain that if you upgraded the firmware and version info on your Gryphon in the last month, then any custom tunes that it had before you did the upgrade have been replaced by canned tunes. The good news is, Bill can rebuild the tune files you had so that they can be reloaded into your Gryphon through Pegasus. I know about this because I think I was among the first to need this service! :o

Sorry I can't be more help.

- Jack
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Royale with cheese

Thanks Jack, I've got bigger fish to fry right now. I see my battery is low (reading 11.6 volts when it should be 12.5 at least) now I'm afraid to do any flashing till I get the voltage up. Its a 4 year old Interstate so I think it might just need a charge (i hope cuz a charger will cost me half the price of a new battery!!) its finally above freezing here so its not the cold. Off to the auto parts store.