Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, December 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Royale with Cheese

Coke734 is on a distinguished road
Default Gas Pedal Sensitivity

I have been using the Gryphon for several months now, first with Stage 1 then Stage 2, and it has been great. Mileage and performance gains are definitely noticeable and very welcome.

I have one problem, however, and that is with the extreme sensitivity of my gas pedal. I realize that the sensitivity has been increased to enable faster pedal response, but when I am driving down these Michigan roads and hitting potholes, I can't keep my foot perfectly still. This leads to my tachometer needle jumping up and down, my engine revving and idling, and my exhaust going from loud to quiet to loud over and over until either the potholes end (rarely) or I give up and coast until it's smooth.

I am not planning on cashing in my custom tune vouchers for another few months, after I order my intake so they can both be installed at the same time.

Is there a way for me to change the pedal sensitivity myself in the meantime, or would I need to wait until I can get custom tunes for this adjustment?
Old Thu, December 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I wonder if this is similar to my feeling that the truck is too eager to unlock the torque converter or come out of a higher gear range with increased throttle pressure? I posted on this in another thread here: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...hread.php?t=13

You might try lowering the TC unlock speeds or even the downshift speeds a bit in the gear ranges you are using when this happens. My limited testing of this so far seems to indicate I'm on the right track.

But, Bill can probably do something in the custom tune to reduce this "skittishness". It's not throttle sensitivity that's the issue here (and you wouldn't want to change that anyway), it's a transmission skittishness. I think it's set to unlock or downshift too quickly.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, December 4th, 2008, 09:43 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

What he's referring to is how aggressive of the throttle pedal is at light throttle. We used to get similar complaints from the diesel folks. This is a phenomena that is often associated with Drive-by-Wire systems. Since there is no direct relationship between the accelerator pedal (APP) and the throttle plate, there is a transfer map that takes the linear voltage from the pedal and applies a logarithmic curve to the output for the throttle actuator.

One of the more common modifications is to make the curve a little more aggressive to help improve throttle response. Once in a while, we get a little too aggressive in the light throttle portion and what you end up with is a "touchy" throttle.

This does NOT affect the shifting since those work on the actual voltage signal from the a APP. Those issues are usually caused by mis-adjusted shift strategies.

I'm looking into the throttle problem and will have an answer sometime in the morning.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, December 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Royale with Cheese

Thanks for the help, JackAndJanet, I have noticed this as well. The problem I'm talking about seems more like what Bill mentioned. The touchiness/sensitivity is most evident before the lock appears in the COMM GEAR display.

Please give us an update as soon as you have something, Bill, and thanks!
Old Sat, December 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke734 View Post
Thanks for the help, JackAndJanet, I have noticed this as well. The problem I'm talking about seems more like what Bill mentioned. The touchiness/sensitivity is most evident before the lock appears in the COMM GEAR display.

Please give us an update as soon as you have something, Bill, and thanks!
Yup, Bill's explanation is far more on the mark than my feeble attempt, wasn't it? :o

But, I'm glad you notice the sort of "over aggressiveness" of a downshift or torque unlock when adding a little throttle to either speed up a bit or to maintain speed up a mild incline.

We drove back from Phoenix today in Janet's Toyota (4 cyl, 30mpg, easier to park) and were on a several mile long upwards incline on the interstate at 75mph and the car stayed happily in 4th gear overdrive all the way. I know the Ford would have been going in and out of an RPM shift between about 1900-2400 on this same stretch.

But, I haven't been able to test the Ford again on the same kind of incline since playing with TC unlock and lock points.

- Jack
Old Sat, December 13th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Royale with Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
I'm looking into the throttle problem and will have an answer sometime in the morning.
Anything yet?
Old Sun, December 14th, 2008, 02:59 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Sorry about that. Just got back from a dyno event in Tennessee.

Give me a shout in the morning and we'll get your update online.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Royale with Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Give me a shout in the morning and we'll get your update online.
If it makes a difference, I went back to stock tune and the touchiness/sensitivity is still there but much, much less drastic. I have a vague recollection of adjusting a few values in the custom power programming settings, so I could have brought this upon myself.

Let me know how/where to get this update.
Old Mon, January 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Double Whopper

Buckeyes903 is on a distinguished road

I noticed how touchy my throttle is, is there any more news on this?

I have kinda gotten use to it, but driving in gravel a lot, its hard not to make spin marks haha. Even my girlfriend drove my truck the other day and got out and was "I don't remember it being that hard to drive"
But when its back to stock it seems fine, but on level 2 and 3 I feel like I have to move the pedal a lot more to get a response and when I do it usually jumps.
Old Mon, January 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Double Whopper

jerodr is on a distinguished road

Suprisingly my throttle is actually opposite. I felt no change over the stock setting. We discussed this in another thread and it has to do with my throttle body for some reason. I'm hoping that when I order my custom tunes Bill can make it a little more "touchy."